Chapter Thirty Nine

Tilting my head up, I patted my neck with makeup one last time to cover up some bruises Chris got me the other day. The concealer only helps fading the mark a little but still better than nothing. Having satisfied with how I look, I tidied everything up and stood up, only to stopped abruptly and grunted.

"Goddamnit." I grumbled. My hand clutched to my side. Ever since that day, the pain in my abdomen has taken a worse turn. I could barely turn my body when I was asleep and every step I took have to be gentle. I had to take painkillers to ease the pain and don't even get me started about how massive the bruise was.

Today I told Mikayla she didn't need to come over and pick me up. It was simply a dinner at her place, I would be able to end the night earlier if I were driving there.

So here I was, standing in front of her door. "Let's just get this over with so I can go back to my bed." I mumbled. Fixing myself one last time, I knocked.

Within a minute she opened the door. She was looking more casual than ever, a simple blouse with jeans. She still looked hot though. Damn it. "Hey you're here." She smiled seeing me and let me in. "How you're feeling? It's kinda cold today." Mikayla asked as she pulled me in for a hug which I slightly dodged and only wrapped an arm around her gently before moving away.

"Yeah it's almost Christmas so that explained it." I took off my coat and Mikayla hung it on. "Mhm something smells good."

"It's the lasagna. I'm leaving it in the oven right now." I hummed and walked into the kitchen to see everything was already set up. There were even candles on the table. "I just wanna make everything perfect." She said beside me.

"Well it sure looks so."

"Come on, let's go watch something while we wait for it." She grabbed my hand and led me to the living room. "Sit down next to me." She patted on the couch.

Mikayla turned on the tv while her hand removed the cushion that sat between us so she could scoot even closer to me. This girl...

Nothing much was said as we sat there watching some movie. She was quite into the movie while I was distracting because of the growing pain. I think I forgot to take painkiller before I go.

"You seem quiet there Allie." Mikayla turned to me and said. "Is the movie really that boring?" She raised her eyebrows and smirked.

"No I was just thinking about something." I mumbled.

She hummed and placed her arm on the headrest. Her full attention was on me now. "You're upset about something." Mikayla stared at me with intensity and I had to look the other way to avoid the tension from her eyes. "No no not upset...more like something's bothering you." She said quietly.

"Nothing's bothering me." I chuckled nervously. "We should go back to the movie." I said trying to shift her attention away but obviously that didn't work.

"Stop doing it." She muttered. I turned to her confused. "Stop burying your feelings down and hide yourself away."

I shook my head smiling. "I don't know what you're talking about."

"I thought I made it clear that you don't need to put on the walls around me." She cupped my face and made me look at her. "Alia what is it?"

I looked into her eyes and for a second I saw something that wasn't supposed to be there. I swallowed the lump in my throat and put her hand on my face down. "I um I'm gonna go get a drink."

"Alia-"

She was about to reach out for my hand but I stood up too quickly and that feeling hit me again made me cry out, my hand immediately went to my side. I crouched down a little to take a few breaths and calmed my racing heart down.