Chapter Sixty Six

My chest was heaving heavily as I hurried down the corridor, I could feel anger started boiling in me the closer I walk to the room.

Just before I could bust the door open, I managed to halt my step and took in a breath to calm down. I needed to control my emotion first before I say anything I would regret.

In. Out. In. Out....okay.

I pushed the door open harder than I intended and walked in the room, interrupted Mikayla and the person she was having a meeting with. Both of them turned their heads at the sudden movement.

"We need to talk."

"Miss, don't you see—"

"Not you. Her." I locked eyes with my woman, seeing the confusion written on her face along with the hardened look at the same time, as if she was bracing herself for what about to come.

"We are in the middle of—"

Jesus. Why is it so hard for men to listen and do as told.

"It's okay Smith. We'll continue this later. You can go now." Mikayla intervened, our eyes were still on each other.

The man looked rather surprised by what she said but did so either way reluctantly.

Her expression shifted from confusion to worry the second he walked out the room, her eyes scanning my face carefully as she moved up from her seat and walked to me. "What is it Alia? You look angry."

"I am." I huffed out. "Tell me Mikayla, why did I just now know about how you asked Damon to do a checkup on Jessica and send people follow her around?"

"I—what?"

"Your people just went full on harassing my employee, just because they think she was stalking and tried to do something to me." I swallowed the lump in my throat. "They treated her like some kind of criminal. Truthfully, I don't want to imagine what else they would do to her if I weren't there. Oh and Damon, he's in this too Mikayla? What the hell is going on and why didn't I know about this?" I raised my voice slightly, the frustration was clear. So was anger.

"Alia I can explain—"

"Explain." I said sharply. "Tell me everything Mikayla because it seems like you're hiding something from me and I hate it."

Mikayla went to reach for my hand but I retrieved it. She sighed. ""Alia you have to understand, not everyone is as what they seem. For an employee like her, being so close to you that even get you to care about her that much, don't you find it weird? What if she was hiding something in her sleeves or what if she was taking advantage of you?" Mikayla placed a hand under my chin softly, making me look at her. "What if she wasn't as naive as she appears to be?"

"You don't know her." I retorted.

"And how well do you know her?" That made me bit my lip. "She told you about her family, about what she went through. But that's all you know Allie, what she told."

I licked my lip slowly, trying not to let the negative take over my thought. "That doesn't excuse for what you did Mikayla."

"But it explained why I did what I did."

"So you ran a background check on her, did you find anything alarming?" I tilted my head, narrowing my eyes at her.

Mikayla broke eye contact for a split second, that was enough of an answer for me. "No, but it was necessary. Again, I just wanted to know if she was having any motive, I wasn't accusing her of anything."

"That's conflict." I deadpanned. "Because you sounded like you was Mikayla. But then, why are you so stressed with the fact that she was close to me? It's literally nothing, she was a nice girl and I like her too."