Chapter Eight

After a fifteen minutes ride, I've arrived to the Astor's residence. Pulled up to front door, my driver opened the door for me to step out. I exhaled and walked to the stairs. Before I reached the door, one of the maid has already opened it and welcomed me. I thanked her and right after that, Mikayla walked out from the hall.

"Hey, you made it." She said and looked around as if looking for someone else. I quickly caught up.

"Yeah. Chris couldn't make it. It's just me tonight." I hope they won't be too disappointed because I promised both of us would be here.

Instead, she smiled brightly and led me to the dining room. "It's okay. I'm glad you're here and you look beautiful by the way."

"Thank you, you look nice too." I replied quietly.

We entered the room to both Mr and Mrs Astor already standing by the table and talking. They greeted me and didn't seem to phase by the fact that my fiancé wasn't here. We then joined the table and started eating.

"So how has work been Alia ?" Mr Astor looked up from his plate and asked me.

"It's been good sir. We're all excited for this new project." I took a sip of wine after that. I gotta admit, these people know how to pick a good bottle of wine.

"I hope my daughter doesn't bother you much with all the times you guys worked together." His wife said teasingly making me and Mr Astor chuckled.

"No of course not. Actually, I enjoy working with her. I couldn't ask for a better partner." I looked at Mikayla to see her smiling and looked down, trying to hide a blush.

"Thank you. You're amazing too". She looked at me and her eyes shine brightly. I was sitting next to her while her parents sat opposite. Every time our shoulders or legs accidentally touched, it sends shiver down my spine. I somehow love having her close to me. It's weird but it's like having your crush near you and you'd be explode from happiness.

"So when's the wedding happen Alia ? You and Chris has been engaged for a while now." Mr Astor asked and to be honest, the thoughts of marrying right now scared me. Mikayla suddenly coughed and took a sip of drink. I eyed her before I answered the question.

"Uhm we've both been pretty busy with our work lately so we haven't really discussed that. We're still trying to enjoy our 20s now." I hope he wouldn't ask too much about this. It'd ruin my appetite.

"Of course. I wouldn't want Mikayla to settle early either. You kids gotta go out and have fun, experience life. You'd be surprise to see how there's a little thing you could do once you're married." He muttered the last part causing his wife to glare at him.

"Are you saying marrying me is a bad idea?" Julia squinted her eyes and I swear that man just froze for a bit.

"N...no...of course not." He shook his head quickly and took his wife's hand. "Marrying you is the best decision I've ever made, and I still grateful for that til these days." He smiled assuring and Julia relaxed her shoulders and continue eating.

"That's what I thought." She muttered. Me and Mikayla just shaking our heads and smile. I really adore their relationship, even after years married together, they still have a loving look whenever they look at each other. Not many people have that, most people just fall in love, get married then go theirs separate ways just because they got bored with each other, or they stay but simply for their children's sake or something like that, there's no happiness or love anymore.

We continue having light conversation and soon dinner ended. We all stood up and the maids started to clean up the table. I was about to follow Mr and Mrs Astor to the living room but Mikayla came up next to me and pulled me with her.