Chapter Sixty Two

Mikayla POV

The beeping from the monitor was the only thing can be heard in the middle of this deafening silence. I sat there, starring hollow eyed at the way her chest gradually falls with each breath taken. Her blonde hair scattered across the pillow, framing that angelic face of hers.

My heart was no longer racing but the rush of panic was still made itself clear in my head. The moment when I held her in my arms, desperately calling her name but all she did was falling deeper into the slumber. I have never felt so far away from her. I had her right there in my arms, and nothing I could do to stop her from slipping away from me.

"We're almost there baby, hang tight for me." I whispered to her, holding her close to my chest. "It's going to be okay, you're gonna be okay." I said. I didn't know if she could hear me, but it was all I can do in that moment, let her know she was going to be okay and let me hear it too.

"I'm afraid we'll have to take a different route miss. The shortest way is under construction now." The driver eyed me from the rear view.

I have never thought I would be experience this, every fiber in my being was screaming for her, praying to whoever above to let her be okay, I've never been more scared in my life. I thought I knew how much I love her, but in that moment, I truly realized my love for her was more than anything in this world, more than anything I thought I knew. My heart aches for her. My soul craves for her. For her, I would do anything and more.

The car pulled over to the hospital and the driver jumped out, helping me get Alia inside. I remembered shouting for the nurse, barely able to tell them everything happened when I watched they place her on the bed, rushing to the emergency.

"Please help her. Please, do anything." I cried, pled the doctor before they kept me outside, closing the door.

I broke down then. I knew she was going to be okay, because she had to. But the dreading for that confirmation was slowly killing me and I couldn't do anything to stop the tears. I was right there with her, she was right next to me and I still let something happened to her without me knowing. I always tell her that I would keep her safe, I promised myself that I would protect her and yet I have done nothing to prove that. I failed her.

"How is she?" A voice brought me out of my head. I didn't bother to turn around and only heard the footsteps approach closer.

I wiped away the tear in the corner of my eyes. "Fine. She's fine." I breathed out.

Damon went over to her bed and looked at her closer. He brushed a hair strand out of her face. "What did the doctor say?"

I shifted my eyes to him. "They found Rohypnol in her system, it was roofies. This drug is not available legally in America and it was probably got smuggled in. It works like anesthesia, though most of time it is used to drug people, makes them be vulnerable enough to rape." I swallowed the lump in my throat. "Someone spiked her drink with it."

"I thought you were right there with her?" Damon sent daggers at me with his eyes.

"I was. But the lights were shut down out of nowhere and I lost hold of everything at that moment."

He sighed, flopping down onto the other chair. "She could never take a break, could she?"

The guilt was eating me alive again. Thing went wrong right before my eyes and I was completely clueless. The anger inside me was fueled, my fingers dug inside my palm and I kept my eyes on her, wheels running in my head trying to think of someone who would be stupid enough to even dare hurt her. This was a personal grudges, not some random doing.