Chapter Three

"Good evening". I startled. Chris's hand was still on my waist. We turned around to see the Astors stood behind. It was her voice who greeted us.

"Good evening to you too miss Astor". My fiancé greeted back. I was completely mesmerized by her beauty but luckily, I managed to get the words out.

"Good evening miss Astor". I said looking into her eyes.

"Well, Mikayla, this is Alia Gladhill and her fiancé Chris Dane. Alia, Chris, this is the person I want to introduce you to, my daughter Mikayla." Mr Astor introduced us.

"Nice to meet you mister Dane and miss Gladhill. You look beautiful in that dress miss. "She complimented and smiled at me.

"Likewise". I answered and smiled back.

"You're indeed look lovely too miss Astor. Glad to finally get to meet you." Chris said, gripping me by the waist.

Mikayla then moved her eyes to my waist with Chris's arm strongly gripping me. I suddenly grew uncomfortable. Fortunately, some old friends from the guests saw Chris and dragged him away to have a conversation. The Astors also went away to talk to their guests. It was only me and Mikayla now.

She was still watching me with her piercing blue eyes while I grabbed another glass of champagne.

"I've heard about the Gladhill for a while now. Don't think I've seen you before." She broke the silence.

"Ah, I don't usually attend to these kinds events. Usually it's my parents or my sister." I said after having a sip.

"Your sister? Her name's Lillian I assume?" She tilted her head to the side.

I nodded. "You met her before?"

"I did have a chance to meet her few times yes before I went study in France. She was a lovely person and she knows how to make the night long event goes by faster." She chuckled and I smiled, nodding my head.

My sister is quite an extrovert and she was basically the life in every party. Lillian didn't work at the company anymore. She has her own business as a fashion designer. She used to attend these kind of events but now, not much anymore. If anything, it's the events about fashion only.

"She's quite an interesting person. Well it's nice to finally get to meet you then." I raised my glass and Mikayla bowed her head a little teasingly, making us chuckle.

Chris then came over interrupted us. "Am I interrupting anything?" He said smiling.

"Nothing at all. We're just getting to know each other. Anyway, I won't bother you more. I'll see you later." Mikayla dismissed herself.

"I'll see you." I smiled at her which she reciprocated back.

"What was that ?" Chris asked me after Mikayla was gone.

"What was what?" I furrowed my eyebrows.

"Never mind. Stop chugging those drinks like candy. I don't want you getting drunk here." He said looking at the glass I was holding.

"I'm not." I said rolling my eyes.

"Whatever, you're gonna embarrassed yourself and your dad anyway. Don't drag me down with you." His jaw clenching and he ran a hand through his hair to avoid awkwardness in front of people.

I looked at him angrily. What was wrong with him? I've done nothing but followed him like a dog this evening. I shoved my glass in his chest and stormed outside. "I'm done for tonight. See you at home".