"So are you dating anyone?" I asked breaking the awkward silence

"No, you know that I don't date"

"But you dated me and you married me" I challenged

"Yeah, but you're the only one that I'd ever want to date" He said going back to working on my car to avoid the conversation

He got my car fixed and I tried to pay him for the parts and his time, but he wouldn't take my money.

"Kie, you aren't paying me. You were my wife and you're the mother to my children, you owe me nothing"

I thanked him and he went inside to say goodnight to the kids. He left and the kids went to bed. Eli and I have been together for a month now and since JJ was staying with the kids this weekend, I was spending the night at Eli's place. We were making out and we were going to have sex. I thought that I was ready, but before anything too spicy could happen, I stopped it. I grabbed my stuff and left his house in the middle of a total panic attack. I didn't know where to go or how to calm down so I drove to JJ's house. He had moved into a house on the cut since the divorce. I knocked on the front door and he opened it.

"Kie, what's wrong? Are you okay?" He asked

I was crying and it felt hard to breathe. JJ pulled me into his arms and hugged me tight and said, "It's okay, I'm here and you're okay... Just breathe"

He brought me outside and closed the door so the kids didn't hear as it was a small house. He held me in his arms and my breathing slowed down and I was way more relaxed. He said, "I'd invite you inside but the two rooms are full of the kids. I sleep on the couch so there's really no privacy"

"It's okay, I'm good now..." I said lying

"Kie, come here" He said bringing me to the hammock and we both laid down

"What happened?"

"I went on a date with Eli and it was great... We went back to his place and we were making out.. Sorry, you probably don't want to hear this" I said realizing what I was about to tell my ex-husband

"It's okay. You can tell me anything" He said

I continued and said, "We were about to have sex.. He had taken my shirt off and was kissing me and his hand traced my body and he was laying on top of me and it was like he was crushing me. I couldn't breathe and I felt like I was suffocating"

"Do you feel suffocated right now being in the hammock with me?" He asked

"No, not at all... I feel safe being this close to you. It was just weird having another guy that wasn't you touch me" I admitted

He looked surprised and he said, "It's okay... You don't have to be ready to go that far with your new boyfriend. We were best friends for like seven years before we got together and then we were together romantically for like twelve years. That's almost twenty years of knowing each other. You've been with this guy for less than six months. It's going to take some time"

I couldn't believe that it's been almost twenty years of me knowing JJ Maybank. He went from being this annoying boy to my friend to one of my best friends, to my crush, to my boyfriend, to my fiance, to my husband, to my soulmate, to my ex-husband... I was lost in his ocean blue eyes and he was lost in what I could call my ugly brown eyes, but JJ always told me that I had the most beautiful eyes. He said they were full of love, wonder, and adventure, and he could tell how much I loved him just by my eyes. Before I knew it, our lips were touching and I was kissing JJ. I know it's wrong, but my brain wasn't thinking at the time. It was completely focused on JJ and his lips on mine.