story 5 - part 1

JJ's POV:

It had been a year since the pogues split up. We didn't mean to, we just drifted. Pope went to Harvard and was going to be a doctor. Cleo ended up getting a job in South Carolina. John B was in school to be a police officer and Sarah was in New York getting some college degree with her dad's money.  I stayed in the OBX at my dad's house, living on the cut, working pogue jobs, nothing really changed with me. 

No one has heard from Kie since graduation. She moved out to California and ghosted all of us. We never got the gold. No one has heard from Ward or Rafe. Rose and Wheezie came back home. 

I missed the pogues so much, but I missed Kie the most. The night we graduated, we went to a party and we all got drunk I snuck down to the beach and started smoking weed. Kie came down and we were both so high and drunk. We ended up leaving the party and we went back to my dad's place, he had left so he wasn't there and we had sex. We never talked about it because I didn't think she remembered since I was gone by the time she woke up. That was the last time I saw Kie. 

Everyone was home for Thanksgiving and we all hung out, it was just like old times except Kie wasn't there and John B was running late from the beer run. He came rushing back and he was freaking out. 

"Guys... I, just sa-aaw Kie.. and she has a baby.." John B said out of breath

"Kie has a baby?" Pope asked

"Yeah, and she was with this guy. He looked like he was from Cali. I'm guessing the baby daddy. I saw her from a distance and she left as soon as she saw me." He said 

We all were texting and calling Kie and told her to get here ASAP. About ten minutes later, a car pulled up and Kie got out she opened the back door and grabbed a car seat.

"So, John B told you all my little secret. Let's just say that things didn't go as planned in California. This is my daughter, Lily Elizabeth."

Sarah ran and hugged Kie and then she took the baby out of the car seat and she was in love with the little girl. We all went and hugged Kie. Kie hugged me a little longer and our hug broke.

Sarah and John B were obsessed with the baby and Kie was crying. Pope was hugging Kie who was a mess. Pope got pulled away to put wood on the fire and Kie just stood there with tears that wouldn't stop falling. I walked over to her and pulled her into my arms. 

"Why are you crying? Are you okay?" I asked her concerned 

"I'm fine.." She said pulling herself together and breaking the hug

Kie came and sat with us as everyone took turns holding her baby. Sarah was the baby hog. I didn't hold the baby as kids hated me. I had no idea what to do and I noticed Kie watching me. The baby was asleep in her arms and she said, "I should get home."

Kie left and everyone talked about how crazy it was that Kie was a mom. No one expected that. 

The next day, there was a knock on the door and it was Kie. She didn't even say hello, she just jumped right in.

"I didn't mean to cry yesterday, it's just the hormones have been insane and I missed you so much. Do you remember graduation?"

I laughed and said, "Yeah..."

She started crying again and she said, "I never should have left without saying goodbye but once I was gone, it was too late to talk to you... I was in California for about a month and I was so busy and I planned on coming back home, but then I found out I was pregnant and I freaked out. So I just stopped talking to everyone. My mom was pissed about the baby but she was so relieved when she met my friend Ryan. He's been helping with Lily so much."

"She's probably just happy the baby isn't Pope's.." I chimed in and Kie's face froze and more tears came

"The baby isn't Ryan's, he's just one of my friends from school who grew up with lots of siblings and offered to help. My parents just assumed it was his baby and he told me not to say anything so my parents fully believe he's the father. When the truth is, you are... JJ, she's your daughter and I know how awful I am for not telling you. But that's why I came home because our little girl shouldn't grow up thinking Ryan is her dad. Ryan is great, but she's not the man I want my daughter to look up to, you are."

I was in shock. I just found out that I have a daughter, that Kie still likes me, and that Kie wants the baby to look up to me.

"She's my baby? Like we have a kid?"

"Yeah, I haven't slept with anyone else besides you."

"Are you crazy, Kie? You shouldn't have come here. You never should have told me she was my baby. Don't ever tell anyone the truth. It's Ryan who is her father, not me. Her being part of me is fucked up enough. She can't know me and I don't ever want her to." I said freaking out as I took off on my bike. I just started driving and I went off on my own. I don't want to have kids, I never wanted to be a dad. I wanted my dad's genes and DNA to end with me. The world couldn't handle anymore Maybanks. 

Now I have a little girl and I want to be in her life more than anything but I just know that if I am, I'll fuck her up just like my dad fucked me up. I spent the whole night at some buddy's place. I got high and drunk. Then I woke up the next morning feeling like shit. 

Today was Thanksgiving and the pogues all had someone to go, except for me. John B went over to Sarah's with Rose and Wheezie. Pope had his family and Cleo went with him. Everyone forgot about me, just like always. 

It was around 2 pm by the time I got home. Kie was sitting outside my house. I walked over to her and I asked, "Why aren't you with your family for your kook Thanksgiving?"

"Because I felt guilty being there knowing you would be here alone."

I was sitting next to her and said, "Don't worry about me. I'm fine living on the cut, happy even. Just go back to your life where we didn't speak. It's best for everyone"

"J, you aren't him and you never will be. I want our daughter to know you and I pray she's just like you, minus the swearing, drinking, and weed. For our daughter to be loyal like you, care so deeply about her friends, to have your sense of humor, and for her to see how amazing you treat me. I love you, JJ, and I have for a long time."

Kie made me cry and I hugged her and said, "I'm sorry for how I reacted. I never should have taken off like that. I love you, Kie and I want to be a family. I just have no idea what the hell to do."

"Neither do I, we'll figure it out together." She said kissing me

We broke the kiss and she walked over to the car seat that was next to where she was sitting and she picked the baby up. She walked over to me and looked at the baby and said, "This is your daddy. He's the best daddy in the whole world."

She handed me the baby and I was super tense at first, but then I relaxed. She was absolutely beautiful. Kie was crying and I pulled her into my arms and kissed the top of her head and said, "My two beautiful girls."

We hung out for a bit at my house and I said, "I'm sorry Kie, but I think another girl just stole my heart."

A.N. Thoughts so far? part 2 on story number 3?

Please leave ideas for future stories!!!