story 120

* idea inspired by a movie called best of me *

Kie's POV:

We were all grown up. I was married and had kids with an amazing guy. Pope was married with kids. John B and Sarah were legally married with kids. JJ has been with the same girl for years and years but no ring and no kids.

I left my kids with my husband at home and I drove back to the Outer Banks. It was sad, no one lived in OBX anymore except JJ. Sarah and John B were in South Carolina, Pope in Boston, and I was in Florida.

There was this old teacher that we had. His name was Mr. T and he took JJ under his wing when child protective services stepped in. JJ and I spent so much time at his house when we were dating. He became like a father to JJ and I got close with him too. I just got a call from his lawyer that he passed away and I was in his will.

I was staying with my parents and meeting the lawyer tomorrow. I caught up with my mom and dad and the next day, I showed up at the office and there was JJ Maybank. My high school sweetheart. I didn't expect him to be here. We sat down and apparently since Mr. T had no family, he left everything to me and JJ. We signed some papers and then we left without really speaking to each other. Once we were outside, we decided to head to the house and get to work packing it up to sell it.

We arrived and the house was pretty run-down. We learned Mr. T hasn't lived here in a few years as he had to go to assisted living.

"Wow, this place brings back memories" JJ said looking around the house and then at me

I laughed and bit my lip as I thought about all those memories. This is where JJ and I spent hours. It's where we fell in love. It's where he taught me to drive his bike, where I lost my virginity to him, and where we spent countless hours together.

JJ and I were packing things up and we haven't talked or seen each other since Pope's wedding almost ten years ago. We were both now thirty-four. JJ knew I was married and he asked if we had kids.

"Yeah, three boys Liam, Caden, and Noah" I said and JJ just smiled as those were the names we talked about naming our kids, wow that hurt thinking about

"No Sophia?" He asked using the girl's name I always wanted to use

"Nope, I wanted to try for another girl but Zack didn't"

"You should've called me" JJ said joking but I think seriously at the same time

We spent the whole day packing things up and JJ called me into a room. There, in the closet was my high school prom dress from our senior year. I laughed and JJ said, "I never even got to see you in the dress"

The night of prom, I got all dressed up and JJ was supposed to pick me up and he didn't show up. I came here looking for him and Mr. T didn't know where he was. We had already missed the dance so I changed into JJ's clothes and he came home right after that. Luke and JJ had gotten into a nasty fight and JJ was in rough shape. He was covered in bruises and blood. So we skipped prom and I cleaned him up and spent the night laying next to him watching movies.

JJ and I continued packing and he ran out to get takeout for dinner. While he was gone, I went and tried the prom dress on. It was stupid, but I did it anyway. He came back and his jaw hit the floor.

"Wow, you look beautiful" He said

"I promise, the zipper used to go all the way up" I said as it was a few inches short of being completely zipped

"You've had three babies, you look perfect in that dress"

We sat and ate dinner and talked about all our old memories while we drank a whole bottle of wine.

"Well, I should go... I'm drunk"

"Which is exactly why you aren't leaving" JJ said

We went inside and he started a fire in the fireplace and I went back into his old room and dug out a pair of his old clothes that were more comfortable.

It was pretty chilly in the house so JJ and I were going to sleep out in the living room together in front of the fire place. We sat there looking at old pictures and talking about old memories.

We got to this scrapbook that we made. It was called out love book. It had a bunch of pictures of us in it with other stupid stuff like movie tickets from a movie we saw, a dried up flower JJ stole from a fancy house on Figure Eight, and the empty condom wrapper from our first time. JJ and I both started laughing over that.

We looked into each other's eyes and we both leaned in for the kiss. It was way more than a kiss. We made out and had sex. I woke up the next day hungover and totally mortified about what happened last night.

I quickly got up and tried to find clothes to put on. JJ didn't say much about it until I went to leave.

"Kie, you can't deny that something is still there" JJ said walking me to my car

"There can't be anything between us anymore. I'm married... Goodbye, JJ" I said leaving in my car

The whole drive home I thought about JJ and I did that for the next few days. I ended things with my husband. He wasn't the man I married anymore. It was best for myself and the kids. He didn't even seem to care. I had already bought JJ out of Mr. T's house so I packed my three sons up and moved them to the Outer Banks. We had been there about two weeks when I was the Wreck with my sons and JJ walked in. He came over and asked, "What are you doing in town?"

"We moved back... We're actually at Mr. T's" I admitted and introduced JJ to my three sons who were eight, six, and three

"Mom divorced dad" Liam, my oldest told JJ

"Oh, I'm so sorry to hear"

"It's for the best, but you should come over tonight. I've been needing to talk to you"

JJ came over that night and I told him everything about the divorce and moving back here and I told him I was still in love with him. I looked at him with tears in my eyes and I said, "I'm also pregnant"

"Mine?" He asked and I nodded yes

He hugged me so tight and he said, "I'm in, I'm so fucking in for all of it. I love you, Kie and I want to build a life with you here"

"I love you, JJ and I wouldn't want it any other way"

JJ and I told my boys about us. They were acutally kind of excited to get to know JJ. He moved into the house and he was already so great with the boys. Better than their father has been with them. A few months later, we told the boys that they were going to have a little sister. JJ and I were getting our little girl.

Sophia Anna Maybank was born a few months later and the boys were the best big brothers to her, just like JJ was the best dad to his little girl and the best step-dad to my three boys. It's funny how life has a way of working out.