story 179

requested by outerbaanksjiara

Kie's POV:

'Positive' read the little screen on the pregnancy test that I just took. I took a breath as I had to figure out a way to tell JJ. I don't know why I was so nervous to tell him. I knew he'd be super excited and supportive. Maybe I was just nervous about the pregnancy. I hated being pregnant. It was just super hard on my body and I felt sick all the time.

I walked out of the bathroom and JJ was right there. He smiled at me and I realized I still had the test in my hand which he saw. He glanced at it and saw it was positive. He hugged me and as I expected, he was pumped and so was I.

We went to the first appointment and our baby was healthy with a strong heartbeat, the news all parents want. JJ and I decided we were going to tell the pogues this weekend and then tell our kids after that. I was nervous to tell the kids because they were older and this baby was kind of a huge surprise to me and JJ.

Of course, we're excited and can't wait to add another baby to our family but we weren't actively trying to get pregnant. We knew it was a risk having unprotected sex, obviously but it was an if it happens, it happens kind of thing.

Our oldest, Liam was fifteen and then there was his younger sister who was thirteen, another girl who was ten, and our son who was eight.

We sat all the kids down and JJ said, "So, your mom is pregnant"

Nice, JJ... He just it like it was. The three younger kids were all super excited. Liam looked at JJ and said, "Really? You had to do this didn't you"

"What's wrong?" I asked

"Nothing.." He said storming out of the room and I wanted to go talk to him, but JJ told me he'd do it later

The younger three were asking all the questions about if we knew it was a boy or girl, when I was due, and all the things they were excited about. I felt really bad that Liam wasn't happy. I don't ever want my kids to feel like I don't care about their happiness, because I do. I care about them more than I care about myself and Liam, he's my baby. He might be fifteen, but he was the one who made me a mom and I'm still learning everyday. I was glad JJ was going to talk to him about this.

JJ's POV:

Liam was super mad about Kie having another baby. She felt guilty like she was a bad mom and it hurt me to see her like that. Liam went to bed super early and I didn't get the chance to talk to I pulled Liam out of school today for a father-son day and then I would bring up the baby.

It's no secret, school was never my thing. I think it's important to let kids have random days off and do fun things. A few times a year, I'll pull each kid out individually and just have a day with them. Kie sometimes comes with, but usually, it's just one-on-one time and she loves that I do that for the kids.

I took Liam surfing and we got lunch and talked. I asked why he was so mad about another baby.

"I get that you love mom but can't you love her by not getting her pregnant. We're perfect as a family of six. I don't want the new baby to ruin that"

I laughed and said, "Being honest with you, this baby was a little bit of a surprise to your mom and me. But so were you. We had you when we were eighteen and just because you were a surprise doesn't mean we loved you any less. You were the best thing that happened to us. Your mom and I didn't grow up with siblings. We just want a big family and it's exactly what we have"

I took a breath and said, "Your mom is pregnant and the baby is on its way. There is nothing we can do to change that. So you need to stop acting this way because it's making the pregnancy hard on your mom. If you want to talk about what's bothering you, I'm happy to do that. But you aren't going to disrespect your mom, okay?"

"I'm sorry, dad... I promise to apologize to mom"

"Anything else bothering you?"

"Why don't you and mom use birth control?" My son asked

"We have and moms tried the options and they don't make her feel good"

"You can wear a condom. You bought me condoms and said if I have sex I have to wear one"

"Yeah, I can, you're right. But your mom and I are adults. We know the risks of having unprotected sex. You're fifteen and don't need to be a dad"

Yes, I got Liam condoms because he was dating this girl and they were hanging out. I caught them making out. I gave him the sex talk and told him if he was going to do it, he needs to wear a condom. I encouraged him to wait until he was older. But if he wanted to do it, he was going to with or without my approval. I wanted to open that door of communication. Kie and I were always super honest with our kids about stuff like this.

Liam and I talked some more and he was still pretty upset. We talked some more and finally, he smiled and said, "I guess it is pretty cool that we're all old enough to remember this baby. I don't remember my other siblings that little because I was much younger"

"Yeah, you're going to be a great big brother. I wish I could have a cool older brother like you"

"Do you wish you had siblings?"

I thought about the question and I said, "Yeah, I do sometimes but I didn't have a great childhood and so I'm glad that no one else had to deal with the shit I did. John B and Pope were my brothers"

Liam and I talked some more and then we headed home. When we got home, Kie was home and he walked up to her and hugged her.

"I'm sorry for how I acted, mom" He apologized

"It's okay, your feelings are valid and if you ever want to talk about it please come to me. I love you so much, you'll always be my baby boy" Kie said crying

"Anddd it looks like the pregnancy hormones are back" Liam joked which made Kie laugh

"I love you too, mom and this baby is lucky they get to be part of our family"

Liam hugged his mom again and then he headed to his room. Kie hugged me and said, "And that's why we keep having babies because we make the best ones"

"Hell yeah, we do" I whispered as I connected our lips

That night, once all the kids were in bed, I told her a little bit about what Liam and I talked about. She looked into my eyes and said, "You're such a good dad to our kids, the best dad"

The pregnancy went by super fast and we kept the gender a surprise until birth. We had a little girl and Liam was super excited. He sat in the chair holding his baby sister and he said, "I'm your big brother, you have lots of siblings too. Mom and dad are the best and you're so lucky that you're a Maybank. I love you, Lily"

Kie was crying as she looked at me and she said, "Let's have another one"

I knew she was joking and said, "Let's have ten more"

Liam looked up and said, "Please don't"

"Don't worry, we're done having babies. Your dad is having a vasectomy" Kie told our son

Liam laughed and said, "That's gonna hurt like a bitc...."

Kie bursted out laughing and I said, "What the fuuu...dge are you swearing for?"

"Sorry, dad" Liam apologized

"We don't care that you swear around us, just not in school" Kie said

We let the other kids come in and meet their baby sister. I got the cutest picture of all the kids sitting in the hospital bed with my beautiful wife. It's crazy how it went from just us to our big family. I wouldn't change it for the world.