story 152 (based on season 3)

SEASON 3 SPOILERS in this story

* disclaimer - this story is based on OBX season 3, after episode 10 - I just put my own thoughts/ideas into the episode *

Kie's POV:

We got back to the Outer Banks and things were never going to be the same again. We found El Dorado. We were going to be rich. However, we decided not to tell anyone about the treasure until after we graduated high school.

It was Pope's idea and it was actually pretty smart. We had to graduate high school, even though none of us were excited to go back to that prison after months of freedom and being on our own. JJ was the one who was totally against it and me being his girlfriend, it was now my responsibility to make sure he passed his classes and graduated with us this May.

Oh yeah, so we didn't tell anyone that we were together until we were on the plane back home. Everyone was pretty happy for us, even Pope was happy. He was dating Cleo which honestly was huge for him. They were perfect together. We took the gold that John B and Sarah had and used that money to rebuild the Chateau and pay JJ's house off so the bank didn't take it back.

I was glad that JJ had a place to live because my parents would never be cool like the Heywards and let my significant other live with me. At least, I could sneak away to JJ's when I needed to get away from my mom and dad. JJ came with me to tell my mom and dad that I was home. He made me a promise that worst case, he'd run away with me.

We showed up at my house and I could tell that JJ was nervous, but he played it off well. I was shocked that they weren't as mad as I thought they'd be. We told them we were dating and they were pissed about that. My dad was way more upset than my mom was. They basically made a bunch of rules for me and JJ to follow. We agreed, but we really didn't care. I turned eighteen in four months and on my eighteenth birthday, I was moving in with JJ and there is nothing they can do about it.

I had a few days where I was forced to be at home with my mom and dad. There was a knock on the front door and I heard JJ talking. I came downstairs and I saw JJ was outside on the porch with my dad. My mom was in the kitchen and I asked, "What's going on?"

"I'm not sure, JJ just showed up here and he asked to talk to him"

I wondered what on earth they could be talking about. My mom joked saying, "Hope he's not asking for his blessing to marry you"

"Mommm" I said giving her a look

"You never know"

"Trust me, dad would have already killed him if that's what JJ was doing" I said just as my dad came back inside and told me that JJ was waiting for me outside

I went outside and JJ asked if I wanted to hang with him. I couldn't turn that down. I got on the back of his bike and we went to his house. We just sat out in the hammock and I asked, "What were you talking to my dad about?"

"Nothing, I just apologized for the wallet and gave him the money back that I stole"

I was proud of him for taking a step in the right direction. I know that wasn't easy for him to do. We ended up going to hang out with Pope and Cleo. JJ brought me back home that night and he asked me out on an official real date tomorrow night. I was so excited,  I went to my closet and tried to pick out what to wear but JJ didn't give me any details, so I had no idea what to wear. I settled on a simple short flowy dress.

The next night, I was all ready to go when the doorbell rang and JJ was there holding flowers in his hand. He said, "Wow, you look gorgeous. These are for you"

"Aw, J, thank you" I smiled as I took the flowers from him

My mom grabbed them for me and said she'd get them in a vase. JJ drove the twinkie here and he even opened the door for me. Wow, who was this new JJ, and what happened to the JJ I used to know? We talked the whole drive and I didn't know where we were going, but about twenty minutes later, he parked the van and we were on the beach, but in a very secluded area. He looked at me and said, "Wait here for like five minutes and then I'll come back and get you"

"Okay" I smiled as he took off jogging to the beach and he returned to get me, just like he said he would

He held my hand and brought me out to the beach where he had a whole picnic set up. "Aww, J, this is perfect"

"Really? I honestly haven't ever been on a date and I kinda freaked as I didn't know what to do because I want it to be perfect"

"It's perfect" I said as we sat on the blanket and he made us food

It was pretty simple. He just made sandwiches, cut up some fruit, and had my favorite chocolate covered strawberries for dessert.

"Did this bread have mold on it?" I teased him

He laughed and said, "No, learned that the hard way"

We enjoyed our first real date together and the first few months were challenging at times navigating our new relationship. There were many time where JJ didn't feel good enough to be with me, like he wasn't enough. He has a lot of trauma from Luke and I helped him work through that.

School sucked and we got a lot of hate from people about us being together but it didn't matter because I've never been happier. When I turned eighteen, I moved in with JJ to his house. My parents were furious but they were the ones who sent me to wilderness camp and made me lose all my trust for them.

I loved living with JJ. It was like an endless sleepover with my best friend. We all graduated high school together and then the news broke about our adventure and finding the treasure.

The city was doing some celebration ceremony and we sat up in front of the whole town as they cheered for our discovery. It was ironic because most of them hated us, tried to kill us, didn't believe us, etc. when we were on the adventure.

I sat next to JJ and he held my hand the entire time. He hated attention on him and he always said being with me calmed him down. Some guy approached us and he had a book for another treasure hunt.

The pogues were going to learn more about the treasure and made a decision. We were meeting at the chateau tomorrow to talk about it.

"So, Kie and I decided that we're out. We are going to go on our surf trip instead. We just can't risk any more trouble or losing each other. We have both came way too close to death" JJ said telling our friends

They all understood and and shockingly, Pope and Cleo were out too. Pope wanted to go to college and Cleo was going to open up some store. John B and Sarah started laughing and said, "I'm glad you guys are out because so are we. Sarah's pregnant!"

We were all so excited for them to have a baby. They were going to be the best parents. We all turned down another treasure hunt and JJ and I began packing for our surf trip.

We didn't know where we were going. We were just going to go wherever life took us. No matter where we were, as long as I was with him, I would be home.