story 118

Kie's POV:

JJ and I got married one weekend after high school at the Chateau. We were both eighteen and it was right after graduation. Pope officiated the wedding (he got certified and everything), Sarah was my maid of honor, and John B was JJ's best man,

Why did we get married? I have no idea but we spent that whole summer together as a couple. It was the best summer of my life. We were inseparable during my first two years old college and then things got complicated.

We started doing long distance which didn't work well. We eventually just broke up with each other and ended our relationship. Our wedding started off as pretty much a joke and we never really considered it real.

We had been broken up for around two years and didn't think anything of it until our friends asked us if we were getting divorced. We both were so confused and Pope explained that our wedding was real. We signed a real marriage certificate. All along we just thought it was Pope being extra. JJ and I couldn't afford a divorce so we just agreed to see other people and figure out the divorce thing later.  

I just moved back to the Outer Banks and I saw JJ on a date with a girl I hated in high school. I walked up to them and said, "Hey, Ash"

She looked so annoyed and I said, "Just wanted to let you know that he's married to me..."

She looked at him and she was pissed off. She stormed off and JJ asked, "Did you really have to do that? You make me look like I'm cheating"

"Technically you are because technically we are legally married"

"Such fucking bullshit... That fake or real wedding was the biggest mistake I've ever made" He said walking away furious at me

We rarely spoke anymore and we both were busy with our own lives. We still hung out with the pogues but we were never there at the same time.

I was at the Chateau with my friends and JJ showed up with a girl. I was already pissed at him and usually, I'd leave and let him hang out with the pogues but not tonight.

"Are you leaving?" JJ asked

"No, I'm not. If you don't want to see me, you can leave" I said sick of having to leave my friends just so JJ could be there

His date ended up getting annoyed with our fighting and she left. I thought it was super funny and so did the pogues. Pope even said, "You two are literally acting like an old married couple"

We both started drinking more that night and I went to sleep in the guest room and that forced JJ to sleep on the couch. 

A few weeks passed by, JJ and I were getting into nasty fights. They weren't physical and I know he'd never hurt me. We were both just screaming stupid stuff back and forth.

I was on a date with my boyfriend of five months when JJ was calling me. He never called me so I answered and his breathing was rough when he said, "Kie, please come... I'm at my dad's"

"Are you okay?" I asked

"I'm fine, I just got into a fight and need stitches" He said breathing hard

I was a nurse and technically wasn't allowed to do stitches but I've done them once on JJ before. I looked at my boyfriend and said, "I'm sorry, I have to go"

"Why?"

"It's JJ" I said not wanting to go into detail

I left in the middle of dinner and I was all dressed up. I drove to Luke's house and opened the door. JJ was lying there in a pool of blood.