story 173

I've often been asked why I don't have a boyfriend at the age of twenty-two. I've been in relationships before but they never lasted. I was always the first one to end them. I guess my parent's love gave me high expectations for my own. I've never seen two people more in love, not even my aunts and uncles, grandparents, or strangers.

I dreamed about finding the kind of love that my mom and dad have. Most kids think seeing their parents in love is gross, but all I want is for someone to look at me the way that my dad looks at my mom. Their love story is a whole adventure in itself.

My mom grew up a kook, meaning her parents had a lot of money. They owned a restaurant that was super popular and lived in this massive house. They were members of the country club and she was super popular and beautiful, she had the life most girls dreamed of. But she would have rather been hanging out on the cut, the poor side of the island with her three best friends.

Honestly, I'm jealous of how much fun the four of them seemed to have. I loved looking at the pictures of my mom and her friends from high school. They seemed so happy and carefree. In high school, my uncle's dad started this treasure hunt and after he went missing, they picked up where he left off. That's when the four of them really became true best friends, or as they would say P4L - pogues for life.

My dad has been in love with my mom since he first saw her in seventh grade. He flirted with her nonstop and she constantly shot him down. But, he never gave up, and finally, during their junior year of high school, she finally confessed her love to him. He flirted with her so much that even when she did try and tell him she loved him, he didn't believe her and couldn't believe that she actually loved him. But then he did this huge romantic gesture and saved her from a wilderness camp my grandparents sent her to.

I don't ever see my grandparents and I'm okay with that. They seemed to cause my parents a lot of pain when they were younger. I occasionally saw Mike and Anna, but it was rare and I only met Luke once when I was a baby. Even though I didn't see my biological extended family, I grew up with my aunts and uncles and their kids. John B and Sarah had three kids and Pope and Cleo had two kids. My cousins and I were best friends, just like our parents were.

My mom and dad were in their early forties now and I am the oldest of five kids. They always told us that they wanted a big family because they didn't have that growing up. I love my siblings and my parents a lot. They gave me the best childhood I could have ever asked for and since they were now filthy rich, they sent me to my dream school, and I now have my dream job. I couldn't have asked for a better family.

Today, I'm back home for Christmas with my family. We did our big pogue Christmas last night with my aunts, uncles, and cousins, but Christmas day was just my mom, dad, and us kids. I watched my mom as she went and sat on my dad's lap. He hugged her and wrapped his arms around her as he kissed her head. They were so adorable. That night, I was sitting on the couch with my mom and we were talking about life. My mom was my best friend. We told each other everything. She had me when she was nineteen so all my friends said she was such a cool mom, and honestly, I agree.

"Mom, how did you know dad was the one?"

She looked down at her wedding ring and she smiled as she looked back at me and said, "I always felt so safe with your dad. But if I had to pick the moment that I knew I loved him, it was when he almost died by jumping in front of that guy with the machete to protect me. I knew I was going to marry him when he saved me from that wilderness camp. He drove eight hours in the twinkie that could fall apart at any moment. He was willing to give up the treasure to save me"

"I love your love story"

"So do I, but I also love watching your love story" She said which made me smile

"Mom, Conner is not part of my love story. He's just my best friend" I said defending myself

Conner and I have been best friends for years. He was amazing and we never talked about dating. He was my person and we did everything together. My parents loved him and he got along so well with my siblings.

"Your dad was just my best friend for years too"

"You really think Conner likes me like that?" I asked nervously as I secretly kinda liked him as more than a friend

Apparently, my mom just knew he loved me based on how he acted and looked at me. I trusted her and told her how I felt about him and she told me that I needed to tell him. I trusted her opinion and advice and she helped me plan out a time to tell him. She was super excited and after I told him, it turns out he's loved me for years.

"You really think that I should just confess my love to him? It seems like a stupid idea" I said thinking of everything that could go wrong

My dad walked into the room and said, "You know my philosophy, stupid things have good outcomes all the time"

My mom said it with him and it made me laugh. My dad lived by that quote. I gave him a look as I laughed like I didn't believe him.

"My plan to save your mom from that camp was super stupid, but it ended with her telling me she loved me, see good outcome" My dad smiled as he walked over and gave my mom a quick kiss

My dad left the room and my mom was smiling. She told me, "I used to think it was dumb but it's actually pretty true. Even if the stupid thing fails, it usually makes for a hell of a story"

My mom was my biggest supporter and she even planned a double date for me and Conner to go out with my mom and dad for dinner. I was super excited and it was amazing. After our double date, Conner looked at me and said, "I hope we are still this in love when we are your parent's age"

"Me too, my mom is the type of girlfriend and wife I want to be" I told Conner who smiled

My mom, Kiara Anna Maybank was not only my mom, but my role model, and best friend. She's the one I told all my secrets to and she always kept them. She always protected me. She supported me in everything I did. She loves me more than I'll ever know. She gave me the best life. She was everything her parents weren't to her. I just hope she knows how much I appreciate her and everything she does for our family. I just hope that I'm half the wife and mom she is someday.