Chapter 89

Keisha

In the car Amia asks me about what Tamera is talking about.

"What you told me while you were drunk... possibly the same thing can be said about Kahlil."

"Okay but—wait... no... you said... but you also didn't say he was pleasing you. Is he?"

"Yes. He is."

She cringes. "But you can't take him. That's gotta hurt."

"In the moment it doesn't. I'm just really sore afterwards."

"Does he know that?"

"No." I look out the window.

"Keisha, you can't force these things. You have to let him know. That's probably why you can't finish when he's in control... now I see your face. I'm no where close to done with you. In the closet seriously?"

I can't help but smile. "I just wanted to talk, but he started the touching and the kissing and talking about pleasing me and he got down on his knees. What was I supposed to do?"

"Wow you let a man seduce you? I'm ashamed."

"You and Emmet are puppies to each other."

"At least I can take him," she sings under her breath.

I glare at her.

When we get to her place Emmet is pacing in the driveway.

"What the heck A! Do you know how worried I was? You never not answer my calls or texts." He hugs her.

Hmm so this is the famous Emmet.

"Sorry about that my cousin was missing for a few hours. Just making sure she's alright." She steps back and says, "Emmet this is—"

"Simone? Wait, A, I thought you didn't have girl cousins."

Now I'm confused. "Do we know each other?"

Amia repeats my question, "Do you know each other?"

"I'd never forget those eyes. You don't remember me? Does Bex ring a bell?"

I drag a hand down my face. "Well first of you are blonde. Blonder than blonde. Your hair is longer. Second of all. You are white. Like from the damn mountain of Caucasus. You know you speak like a person of colour?"

"Pause! The both of you got some explaining to do." Amia drags us inside the house.

"Hey, Uncle." I greet him as JJ runs at me.

"When did he start running?" I laugh.

"Keisha, he hasn't stopped since he's started. He's not allowed outside anymore. The second you let go of his hand get gone. Do you know how fast babies are?"

We head up to Amia's room.

"Your room is scary," I tell her. She's right about that costume stuff.

"Thank you, now you two spill the beans."

"I met him at the garage years ago."

"How did you not recognize him?" she asks me.

"He was in a full body jumpsuit at all times. His face would be covered in soot, every inch of it. He had a buzz cut. Clearly it was darkened by the soot too and he always had this giant clunky headphones on. And those glasses underneath the goggles. I thought he was an islander or mixed with something at least."

"I trained her at the shop," he mentions.

There's something I can't get my head around. "You told me your name is Bex."