Chapter 62

Keisha

When we get to Tamera's place I use my key.

Kahlil waits in the car.

I simply walk into her room where girly is in her natural setting. 

The biggest hoodie alive. It's wash day so her afro is up in a bun. She is chewing on a wooden pencil as she has at least five different notebooks scattered around her. And she has her glasses on. It's been so long since I've seen her in her glasses.

She finally looks up and then she narrows her eyes at me. "Get out."

I look at the corner of my room. "You haven't opened your packages." They are stacked in a pyramid against the wall.

"They've simply piled up. My parents broke a rule, they came in here and stacked them. What's it to you?"

I close the door. "You didn't understand what I meant. Tamera I bought you more than half of those." I chuckle. "Did you even wonder why there were so many?"

"What are you talking about?" She looks confused.

"First of all are you insane? Why would you buy me a new bike! Second of all those are your anniversary gifts."

"You told me I wasn't your best friend."

"You are more than a best friend. Meaning you should understand that I just needed to be alone. You are some of-no. You are the only family from the beginning I have left."

"What are you talking about, Keisha I literally saw your mom at the grocery store today."

"I saw her a few days ago. She wanted money. She told me to leave."

Tamera thinks hard. "Bryson was serious about the emancipation two years ago?"

I nod.

Tamera hugs me. "I hate you."

"I know. I'm sorry for making you upset."

"How'd you get here?" She pulls away.

"Kahlil... he's outside."

"Why?"

"He wanted to give us space."

"Oh, he found you?"

"I was literally at Keithan's. It wouldn't have been hard to find me."

"I knew it. But you just gonna make him wait?"

You pull out my phone.

"Yep?" He answers immediately

"Baby, why don't you go home. I think I'll hear for longer than expected."

"Are you sure? How will you get back?"

Tamera cuts in, "She will be taking the bike—"

"You are returning that bike!" I say to her.

"Bye, Kahlil!" Tamera ends my call.

"I want you to open all of them. Right now." I point at her wall.

"No. I'm studying."

"For next week."

"That's how my mind works, Keisha."

I walk over to the wall and gently knock it over.

I see the eye twitches.

Tamera is a clean freak.

So she sits in the middle of the room with her box cutter. She opens the first box. "I needed one of these!"

It's a collapsible closet door shelf.