Chapter 85

Kahlil

"Mom, we have to go NOW!"

"I'm coming. You are the one who didn't want to get ready last night. Do you know how long it takes to steam a suit like this! I have to cut your hair after this too. Why is prom the same day as your meet!"

We hurry up and get into the car. I race over to pick up my grandparents and I rush to school. I meet Keisha in the back stairwell.

"How was your exam?"

"Pretty good. Why did you want to meet? Your meet is in an hour you need to warm up." She looks at me concerned.

I take off my duffel bag and pull out another corsage. "I would rather you wear this one when I come pick you up, they are real flowers and bruise easily. Be careful. And I got you these. I am praying they fit because I spent three hours in a store on the phone with Tamera who kept telling me the size depended on your mood."

"What are you talking about?"

I pull out some gold kinda gladiator like heels.

"You are crazy. Why—"

"We can continue this tonight. If they don't fit I got three pairs. Try them all on. If not here is the recipt. Here is my card. Go send Ebony and Essence to get the right one. I love you. I'll see you later." I kiss the top of her head and run.

I barge into coaches office.

"You are late!" Callen scolds me.

"Well it's prom night it's busy. Coach you cannot announce your retirement. You have to go four for four. Callen can do that for you next year." I say.

"Kahlil you said it yourself. If someone three inches taller than him gets in that pool and swims like Lave it's over."

"That won't happen. He will put in the work. I'm giving him my plan."

"Your plan will run him into the ground."

"No it won't. These guys swim for fun. He wants to go far. We are blood. We have that mentality. He will be great."

It's silent for a moment then he cracks. "Fine. But you better win today."

Callen laughs. "I'm leaving him in the tide."

I shake my head. "Keep dreaming."

We go get changed. My team is waiting for me at the bench.

"Smith, it's showtime." I say to the freshman. "I trust you. Stay calm."

He nods.

He's replacing Kiki Jone.

"Dude, you look like you are going to puke. I'll switch with you if it's that bad."

"And have me last? No. I can't swim against Callen."

"Well next year you'll be swimming with him so get used to it."

"He's actually transferring? Why?" They ask me.

"His coach treats him like crap. And this school is closer to his place. And maybe his family will move in with my mom when I leave for school. Be hard on him, but don't rough him up too much alright?"

"Dude, it's impossible to rough him up. He's dating Essence. Have you seen her in gym class—"

I whack a couple of them upside the head. "Stop watching the girls. You guys aren't supposed to be near the gym when the girl class is in there."

"She's still hot—don't hit me!"

"Don't talk about lil sis like that. That's why girls don't take you seriously."