Chapter 19

Keisha

Kahlil and I went out for breakfast per my request because I know personally I didn't want to leave his room.

Call me crazy I don't care. Last night was fun. Every single thing I've ever heard from other peoples experiences did not happen to me. To us.

No blood.

No pain.

We both got off.

And now I have a stack of waffles in front of my face.

"Keisha?"

"Yeah?" I begin eating.

"You don't think your—"

I frown at him for bumming my mood. "Stop thinking about my Dad you bozo."

"Okay. Then why are you going hunting with Kodah?"

"I wanted to start off on the right foot and I wanna know your friends too. I already know enough about Tyrel. Wayne is self explanatory. And then there's Kodah. I know nothing about him other than he can shoot and likes football."

"Kodah can be harsh."

"His mom calls him a teddy bear."

"Yes because if you haven't realized big footballers like him are all momma's boys."

"I am not intimidated by Kodah. We will be with a gazillion of other hunters. And we all have guns."

"You two are the only black people I know who hunt."

"I know you ain't—"

"I said nothing about comparing you to white people—"

I stare at him harshly. "Eat. Your. Food."

He eats with no protest.

As he is driving me home I can tell he's nervous.

When we pull up I grab his hand. "Tell me why this is such a big deal right now?"

"You see. If your Dad tells my Dad. My Dad will tell my Mom and she won't come to my swim meet. It's the first one of the season and she has to come to the first one. And the last one. If I make her upset she won't come and I will have a horrible season."

"And why would she be upset?"

"You know she didn't want us alone for that exact reason?"

I don't know how any of this correct. "I'm just not understanding. Are you regretting last night—"

"No! Of course not. I—" He jumps as my Dad knocks on his window.

He rolls it down.

I speak. "Dad go inside please we are trying to have a conversation."

His eyes meet mine and he knows better than to test me. He goes back inside.

"I really can't have her mad at me. She will find something out of it to blame me for and I don't want to go back to her troublemaker of a son."