Chapter 39

Kahlil

I leave the house before Mom wakes up. I sit alone with my thoughts at a coffee shop across from my school.

Soon Keisha calls me.

"Yep?"

"You've been ghosting your mom?"

"I don't want to talk about it right now."

"I'll listen when you want to—"

"Okay, what I just don't get is that I feel like everything was just dropped on me. My aunt lied to my face, Keish. I felt like the problem for so long. I understand my aunt, but my mom turned her heart cold towards her family. She has that chance to reunite. She doesn't want to take it."

"Kahlil you have to understand that 19 years ago your mom didn't have a mom anymore. She was 18. Can you imagine if your mom kicked you out when she found out we were together? She had to be her own mom. The only person she had to lean on was Draymond. Seven years later he made a hard choice. Your mom had to step up to protect you from the world. Forgive her for not wanting to be shut down and pushed away again. And it's not only her. Has her mom tried to find her again? Is she still around?"

"Yeah kinda met her yesterday?"

"Oh, how was it?"

"I'll tell you at school."

"You ready for the race today?"

I swallow down hard. "Yep."

I let her go.

I go to school. Obviously I'm the first kid here. I head down to coaches office.

"Come in." He says.

"Kahlil. It's 6:30...what's going on?"

I take a seat. "It's bad coach."

***

I actually don't see Keisha throughout the day because coach is trying to find a way around the current situation.

Soon it's after school. Everyone is down here. The bleachers are full.

The second Callen's team walks in Coach goes ballistic. "You did this on purpose! You couldn't stand losing another championship!"

I grab this man and drag him into the locker room.

"Do you want the whole team disbanded?" I stare at him like he's crazy.

"Kahlil, you were my shot at an early retirement. We've won three championships in a row! Four has never been done before."

I shake my head and walk out, now I know how crazy I seemed back then over a speedo. I encourage my teammates.

I walk up to the officiant and announcer. I tell them I'm out for today.

I get back to the team.

"Kahlil, where's coach?"

I sigh. "Dealing with some news."

"Does the news have to do with the fact you aren't in uniform?"

"Yeah. I'm out for the season. Don't tell anyone. I don't want this a big deal."

"What happened?"

"Family altercation. I got a concussion. Doc says I'm out. That doesn't mean we are done. I believe in you guys. Swim like it's your last."

I definitely took it for granted.

The announcer calls everyone to their lanes. They call out the person, their school and lane.