Chapter 32

Kahlil

Against Keisha's wishes I go to Kodah's place.

His mom answers the door and immediately calls him.

"It's been a while, Kahlil, how are you?"

I smile at her. "Doing good. Exams just finished and I'm pretty confident."

"That's great."

Kodah gets over here and stares me down. "Hayes?"

"Where's Keisha's gun?"

His nom intervenes. "Excuse me? You still care about Keisha after all she did to you—"

I glare at Kodah. "I have no idea what he told you but it was all lies! I love Keisha. She did not do anything to me. Kodah Wayne and Tyrel screamed at her, made her cry and made her think she was abusing me. So she broke up with me. She is perfect to me. You have her gun, I want it back now!"

"I'm not—"

"That's her grandfather's gun. That's the only thing she really has to remember him by. Did you know she watched him die? She was alone when he took his last breath. So you better give me the gun before I convince her to report it stolen."

His mom looks mortified.

"You wouldn't."

I laugh at him. "How would those scouts feel knowing they were scouting a kid who stole a very expensive weapon from a schoolmate. I can see the headlines now. Local town football player charged with stealing girls deceased grandfathers prized possession."

His mom slips away and I know she's on my side.

"She don't even want you anymore."

I pull out my phone and dial her.

The second she picks up she greets me with a, "Hi baby."

"Go out with me tonight."

"I'm having baking wars with my parents tonight."

"Let me come?"

We hear her yell at her parents asking if I can join.

"Alight be here in like five."

"Alright. See you then, I love you."

"I love you too."

"Bye baby."

"You know if you call me that in front of my dad he'll turn Sergeant Dad on you?"

"I think I can live with it."

"Bye Kahlil."

"Bye."

She hangs up.

I smirk at Kodah's pissed face.

"Thank you." I reach around him and take the gun from his mother.

He gets upset with her and turns to me. "Kahlil give it back. Or else."

"Or else what?"

"How would it sound if I happened to call a certain number and report an unstable man in possession of a shotgun as I fear for my life?"

I shrug. "Go ahead. You know where I'm going." I walk away.

"Your swimming career wil be over!"

"Well unlike you I'm not reliant on my sport to get somewhere after high school. Swimming is my hobby. Not my life." I get in my car and drive.

I walk into the house. Keisha gave me a key.

"Baby, you are late!" I hear Keisha yell from the kitchen.