Chapter 42

Kahlil

I get home when Keisha leaves for school.

My parents are still on the couch.

"Do I want to even know—"

"Kahlil we had a movie marathon. If you want proof you do recall there is a family room camera correct?" Dad is feeding Mom breakfast.

I just come out with it. "How do you feel about Keisha, Dad?"

"Strong-smart-kid."

"I mean how do you feel about her in a relationship with me?"

"Kahlil, you are teens. Teens like to—"

I shake my head. "You are avoiding the topic."

"She's good for you."

Not great? Not perfect?

"Kahlil, what happened?" Mom asks me.

"I simply asked her about her choices for school. We both have the same first pick. It's not that far from where you are." I point at Dad.

"You want to study overseas?"

I nod. "It'll faster than doing it here."

"Would you like to live with me?"

"That was the plan... I was kinda wondering if..." I trail off and Mom finishes my thought.

"You thought about Keisha living with you. She questioned if he actually likes her."

I nod.

"Okay yes I guess relationship wise she's good for you but don't you think your life got a bit more dramatic and difficult ever since you got together?"

"No it only got difficult and dramatic when people found out we got together. The first four months were pretty much bliss."

"Why do you think that is?"

I narrow my eyes at the man. "How about teens are mean! That some of the people I thought of as friends were never really my friends!"

"What are you talking about?"

"If you were around more you'd know. Kodah. He sent Tasha after me. He was half the reason Keisha broke up with me. He blackmailed Tyrel and sent him to the hospital. He threatened me. He shot my girlfriend! All because he was jealous of me. None of this was because of her. One of the reasons she hesitated with me was because of the people around me. If anything I brought drama to her. Not the other way around but she still loves me and I'll be forever thankful for her."

"You need to watch yourself. The way you are talking you are going to crash hard if something happens."

I cross my arms. "What do you mean by that?"

He stands and steps to me. "Stop acting like she is your wife! You are a child!"

I shake my head. "I'm not a child. I know you worked hard but you missed my childhood. And you try to treat me like we are bros every time you see me. The thing you haven't realized is that for the last 12 years I've only seen you for roughly a month and a half. And when you think about it you met mom at my age. And that means that less than a year into your relationship I was conceived. She was a child if you want to put it in perspective—"

He gets all up in my face.

"Draymond," Mom calls on him.

"Robin I will not tolerate disrespect in my home!" He yells in my face.

"Your home? We've been here for a decade and you have been here for 40 days. That's crazy. You are funny."

He steps closer to me.