Chapter 9

Kahlil

He's dead.

I am going to kill him.

"WHAT DID YOU DO!" Maybe Bryson will kill him first.

Why Keisha put herself in front of the swing? I don't know.

I do know that if I had a younger sibling. I'll have their back no matter what. But Keisha defending her older brother? No words.

I take a step towards them. I'm so conflicted. She's on the ground clutching her face. She hasn't made a single sound. The room is silent. She's my girlfriend but I can't blow this whole thing.

My eyes meet Tamera. "No." She mouths.

"Wayne you just messed with the wrong person!" Bryson snaps at him. He picks up Keisha and walks her out of the caf with Tamera following them.

"Why would that girl stand in my way?" Wayne mutters under my breath.

"This is why I told you to leave him alone." I sigh.

"Why are you protecting that jerk like he almost didn't kill us?"

I drop the volume in my voice, getting pissed, "Because he didn't. I did. I swerved. I could've let the car get scratched. And I didn't. I lost control and ran into a tree. You wanna be mad at someone, be mad at me. I got my lesson. When will you grow up and take yours!" I yell that last part.

"You get sent away for two months and think you're the man huh?"

We go back and forth for a while before I give up. "You better go apologize." I say and he pushes at me. I push him to the ground. "Dude you just hit a girl, how are you not going to—"

"WHO HIT MY DAUGHTER!" The cafeteria falls silent once again when a man in uniform strides through the place. The sound of hits boots hitting the tile floor echos throughout the room. The school officers can't control him.

Mr. Simone is terrifying. And not realizing we all know this man sooner is more the reason to be terrified. How could I not know he was their Dad?

"Maybe it's time for that lesson huh?" I pat Wayne's shoulder when he gets up.

"Shut up. I ain't scared of no—"

"You ain't scared of no what?" Mr. Simone is right behind Wayne.

"Hello Sergeant." I mutter under my breath and he looks at me.

"You are Hayes' Boy." He looks me up and down.

The stare is terrifying. This man is serious and my Dad jokes when talking about his military days. "How—"

"You are the spitting image of him back in the day. Did you hit my Keisha-Rae?"

"No Sergeant. I wouldn't dare."

"Then?"

Wayne looks at me with pleading eyes.

"But I thought you weren't scared? I told you to leave Bryson alone."

Sergeant smiles. "Oh! So you meant to hit my son, huh? And his sister probably not wanting him to get into a fight defends him? Only someone weak cannot control their body during confrontation. Listen here boy. If I ever hear mention of you again I'll wait till the day they are singing the birthday song loud and proud and teach you a good one. Understood?"

"Yes." Pitiful Wayne.

"Yes what!"

"Yes Sir."

"Now go apologize to my daughter. Hayes I want a report."