Chapter 22

Keisha

Mrs. Hayes and her friends are in the kitchen.

"Have you seen Kahlil?" I ask them. They all point to the pool.

I dash out there to find him sitting with his feet in the water.

"Kahlil?"

He pats the space beside him.

He smiles at me. "Never kiss that spot on my damn neck in front of people ever again." He says in the most cheerful voice he could muster up.

I start laughing. "You are unbelievable. I was about to fight with Tyrel—"

"Oh I know he was joking. He just doesn't know when to shut up."

"Why do you want your boys to be real with you when you aren't real with them?" I ask.

"What do you mean?"

"You didn't know Tyrel was bi with a preference of girls. You didn't know that Kodah has a girlfriend. They don't know that you can be pushed too far... umm do they call you Kr—"

"Don't." He whispers.

"Exactly. You gotta speak up—"

"Keisha it's not that easy for me like it is for you!" He snaps.

I don't speak. I wait for him to.

"Why aren't you mad I screamed at you?"

I am so confused. "You are upset. Why should I be upset because I don't understand? I'll wait for you to explain no matter how long it takes."

He stares up at at the ceiling. "I am almost convinced I'm in a dream and you are just a fragment of my imagination." He looks down at me. "You are too good to me."

"And you have the emotional capacity of a pea."

He crosses his arms like a child further proving my point.

"Promise me, let's start the new year right. No more secrets?"

He nods. "No more secrets. Everything gets laid out tonight."

Mrs Hayes barges in here.

I sigh. "Mrs. Hayes we are not that down bad. He seemed upset and I wanted to know what was up."

Kahlil refuses to look at her.

"Keisha that full trust is definitely a work in process. And upset you say?"

"His boys were making jokes and don't know each other's limits." I reply.

"Kahlil?"

"Yes, Mom?"

"I'm not in the pool so stop looking at it when I talk to you."

He gives her his full attention.

Kahlil

"Kahlil you are a good kid."