Chapter 64

Keisha

We have all gone back into our regular routines.

Keithan and Marilyn are at the hospital for like 12 hours a day. If I'm not at school I'm studying. If I'm not studying I'm at work. I've kept my distance from my friends. We are all just really busy right now with all the Grad stuff. My face healed beautifully and Tamera and I booked our photos back to back so we both could take our pictures together. It was a wonderful experience. But now all people are talking about is dresses for graduation and prom. We cannot forget about prom.

Now back to my life. Kahlil has had enough of me being busy and showed up to school in tight black jeans and a jacket matching the one he gave me.

"I thought it would make you smile." he says.

"Kahlil, I'm trying to focus. And I know you'll just call back if I hang up the phone."

"I want to see you."

I sigh and close my notebook. "Where are you?"

"Driving home. I just finished practice."

"Did you take a shower?"

"I always do."

"Is today a second shower day?" I know sometimes he'll take another shower when he gets home.

"Nah. I feel clean enough."

"Okay. I'll be there in like ten minutes."

"Really?"

I grab my keys. "Yeah. We're going for a ride."

"Really!" I hear the excitement in his voice.

I can't help but smile. "Yes, baby."

He is so simple to please.

When I get to his house he's waiting outside with the helmet I told him to keep.

He hops on the bike and hold me close. "Hi!"

"You are so cute."

"Let's go."

I lightly shake my head and before we start, I hand him my old ear pods.

My helmet has this feature where I can talk to someone else clearly. Kinda like a walkie talkie.

"This is so cool!" Kahlil yells.

"Hey! My friend you do not need to yell."

"I thought your helmet was just Bluetooth how did you discover this?"

"I read the manual."

"You are one of those people."

I ignore him and get going.

Conversation is casual between us, but Kahlil has the most random thought pattern. The one that tops it off is, "can you teach me to use your bike?"

"Are you sure? It's a lot more difficult than it looks."

He doesn't speak but he holds onto me a little more.

It's easy to relax with him. "I know just the place."

Since it's still fairly chilly outside, construction is slow and roads are empty in new neighbourhoods.

***

"Kahlil, yes this is necessary. If you get on it you won't know how much pressure to use."

I am having him get used to releasing the clutch.

"I've never seen this thingy before." He points at the clutch.

Why do I have a clutch?

I like my bikes manual.