Chapter 54

Kahlil

When I get to Tyrel's place. Wayne is coming out of his car. With a blanket and pillow.

"Wayne." I call on him.

He stares me down. "Dude you better get out of here."

"I know I was wrong but why didn't you tell me?"

"Since when do I need to tell you anything?"

Tyrel opens the front door. "Guys?"

Wayne switches up. "You told him?"

Tyrel shakes his head.

Wayne is playing this perfectly but he doesn't know that he's just making me look worse.

He gets back in his car.

Tyrel runs out and grabs the door. "I don't know what he's doing here but he's leaving. Now!"

"Tyrel—"

"Don't talk to me." He turns back to Wayne. "Dude it's cold get out or—" He whispers something after that and I don't catch on.

Tyrel shrugs and jumps in his car. Wayne speeds out the driveway.

Dammit!

I just go home. I slam the door shut.

When I get to the living room I see Mom and her friends watching a movie on the couch.

"Kahlil?"

Just my luck.

I don't answer. I just go upstairs and grab my cap and goggles.

"Kahlil the water is freezing what do you think—"

I walk past them without a word.

When I change I dive in. The cold water constricts my movement but I work with it as I get used to it.

Wayne is a snake for that.

I at least thought Tyrel would hear me out.

Ugh. I guess I'll try again tomorrow.

Keisha

It's always so quiet around here. It's weird. I spend two months alone for the past couple years and yet when I'm home and alone and not doing anything I hate it. I'm just used to someone always being here.

Bryson sent me another letter. I haven't opened it. I haven't opened one of his letters in a while.

I don't know how he knows but it's like he's taunting me.

The last letter I read was before Dad left. They've been coming almost everyday. Bryson said Dad was gonna leave and he wasn't gonna come back.

I didn't believe it at first but Dad's been very busy lately. It's kinda like before when he was the one who was always away. And Mom was home, but now It's like I don't see anyone anymore.

Mom comes home. It's earlier than usual. She's usually here when I'm asleep.

"Mom?"

"Yes, Keisha?" She takes off her coat.

"Why won't Dad answer my calls?"

"He's busy. There's a lot going on." 

"Like what? Even when he's busy he always tries to call!"

She walks up to me. "Relax. He has a job to do as do we."

He finished his mission days ago. He is literally on base doing who knows what.