Chapter 50

Keisha

Things have been calm. Too calm.

So I decided that today would be the perfect day to ambush Wayne.

Kahlil, Tamera and I convinced him that we were going on a double date and to meet up at my house before leaving.

Well he's here. He is 100% over dressed.

And we are all laughing about it.

"So was this just the plan to trick me and get a laugh out of it?"

I compose myself first and take a breath.

"No. I wanted to have a serious conversation with you."

"I am not sure I like this."

Kahlil sighs. "Wayne. You need to put yourself first right now."

He looks at us confused.

Tamera sits beside him and grabs his hand. "Please come with us to Queen Mary."

Wayne's face drops. He glares at me and Kahlil.

"I told you everything in confidence and you ambush me!"

Tamera keeps talking. I now know that she doesn't fully know.

"I know it can be hard leaving everything you knew-"

"Tamera. This isn't about leaving home." He speaks through his teeth.

"Then?"

Wayne has a little outburst. "I am poor! I work full time hours as a student making minimum wage. I take care of my sisters while my parents work to exhaustion everyday so that we can keep the house. I buy my sister whatever they want. I am still working off our Christmas, our Valentine's Day. Our date last week, okay! I can't afford Queen Mary!"

Tamera simply hugs him.

"Wayne, just sit down, this wasn't to rub it in, " Kahlil says.

He sits but isn't happy about it.

I start talking.

"I want to make a deal with you."

"I don't want your handouts." He is quick to reply.

"It's not a handout, it's a deal. You accept Queen Mary's offer. You look at every scholarship opportunity that comes your way. You live with Kahlil, Tatum and their dad. You attended 80 percent of your classes first year. You pass your first year with a 75 average. I pay off your first year. If you hate it. Come back home. Do what you want to do. But don't you dare give up this opportunity."

We all sit in silence.

Then he looks at Kahlil. "You told her to do this."

"No, I supported her decision when she brought it up to me."

Wayne looks at me. "Your parents—"

"Have also supported this decision, believing I am responsible enough with my finances."

Tamera turns his head so he'd pay attention to her. "Your sisters will be okay. I really want you to come with us."

I add on. "We all want you to come with us."

Kahlil adds his two cents as well. "I can't go into uni without my best friend."

Wayne slowly cracks.

He stands.

We all kinda thought he was gonna make a run for it by the way he abruptly got up. So we all stood as well.