《Blade》The Cantonesia Caper

REVIEW - THE CANTONESIA CAPER (kth_disneyfanatic)

Reviewer: DeathBlade__

All available chapters were reviewed.  

Title: 4.5/5

- The title is amazing. Not only is it intriguing enough to pull in readers, but it also fits the book perfectly. So far, I've seen most of the characters engage in illicit activities in Cantonesia, making the title very fitting.

- However, at the first glance, people might not know what Cantonesia is. From personal experience, I assume it was some fancy word I wasn't aware of. This doesn't mean you need to change the title (since it's a perfect fit) it's just something that I thought I should mention.

Cover: 4/5

- I like the simplicity of the cover. The font, the colors, and the minimalistic background all give the vibes of a traditionally published book.

- The colors also give me film-noir vibes. The book is not necessarily a mystery but there's enough of it in the air that it fits with the cover.

- The only thing I dislike is the subtitle. Of course, the subtitle alone is amazing but I don't like how it's placed more in the right corner. I'd suggest centering it and fitting them in the same line so that both the top and bottom half look equally filled.

- Other than that though, I really liked the cover.

Blurb: 5/5

- The blurb is simply put amazing! The first paragraph delivers the hook that is sure to have the readers invested!

- I love how it is formatted, showing all the relevant information in separate paragraphs and merging them all to show the conflict of the book.

- I especially love the line Now Amelia has to evade the law and help them at the same time. It was incredibly intriguing while showing the goals she has to achieve by the end of the book.

- The final line leaves the readers with an open-ended question, one I was super curious to figure out after I read it.

- Overall, the blurb is very well written.

Writing Style: 9.5/10

- I was in awe of the way everything was written! The writing style was one that could be followed easily. The switches between the description and the narrative were done seamlessly, which added more to my enjoyment,

- The world-building of Cantonesia was done really well. Although it doesn't have a fantasy element to it, you still put a lot of effort into bringing this place to life and it really shows. The prologue shows the readers the darker parts of Cantonesia and how Amelia has learned to navigate through them easily. The description did great justice to what I assumed the dark parts would be like.

- I love how you added little bits of information here and there, it really brought the place to life. For example, you mentioned how occasionally people could see tiny green dots that were trees, implying that there weren't many in Cantonesia. That single sentence alone made Cantonesia feel real.

- The characters' emotions and actions were also written really well and justified (more on this later).

- Something that I noticed in the Prologue was that you wrote Amelia reminded herself that the Yeungs were one of the most inconspicuous mafia families in Southern China. I'd suggest removing the Amelia reminded herself part since the exposition felt weird. Instead, you could just mention that the Yeunds were one of the most inconspicuous families. This would work better since it's supposed to be written in 3rd person's POV anyway.