Chapter 1

November 5, 1990

Aberdeen, Washington

I stand in front of the payphone, nervous to call my brother. 

I haven't talked to him in years. I don't even remember the last thing that we talked about. It's not that we don't get along or anything, but we just never really talked to each other. We both have different dads and my mom decided for me to go live with mine for a little. 

"Just call him," Ethan tells me. 

I ignore him, trying to compose myself. 

What if Krist got mad at me?

What if he told me to leave him the fuck alone?

I shake my head and force myself to call him. 

I put in the coins inside and patiently wait for him to answer.

The line rings for a couple of seconds, but then I hear his voice. 

"Yes?" He asks. 

"Hey, Krist," I say, clutching the phone with my right hand and giving Ethan a thumbs-up, letting him know that I did it. 

He smiles at me. 

"Who is this?" Krist asks. 

"This is your sister, Kaitlyn."

"Kaitlyn?" He seems taken aback by this. "Um, hi. What's up?"

"Can I stay with you?" My voice trembles and my body starts to tense up at the thought of him saying no. 

"What?"

I sigh. "I'm in Washington right now. I just need somewhere to stay. I know it's sudden and I'm so sorry, but I just had to get away." I try to force the tears down my throat, not wanting to cry. "Please? I'll pay you."

"Hey, hey, calm down. Where are you?"

"Um, the airport."

"How about I come and get you, alright?"

"Do you even know which airport I'm at?"

"Well, no," He chuckles. "This might be a problem."

"How about you just give me your address and we'll drive a cab to your house?"

"We?" He asks. 

"Shit," I internally slap myself in the face. "My boyfriend and I."

"Wait, your boyfriend's going to be staying, too?"

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry. I should've mentioned it before. Yeah, is that a problem? If it is then-"

"Kaitlyn, calm down, I'm not mad. That shouldn't be a problem." He gives me his address and I write it down on a piece of paper I already had out, trying to be more prepared for the situation. "Did you get it down?"

"Yes. Thank you so much."

"You're welcome."

"We'll be there soon. Goodbye, Krist."

"Goodbye, Kaitlyn."

I put the phone back and run out of the booth and stand in front of Ethan. 

"Did he say yes?" He asks. 

"He did!" I squeal. 

Ethan hugs me and kisses me. "Thank God! I don't know what we would've done. Alright, let's go get a cab."