"Yeah"

"Does your dad hurt you?" I asked concerned

"No"

I brought Liam back out to John B and I left the party, I went to Mike and Anna's house and knocked on the door. Mike opened the door and I could tell he wasn't happy to see me.

"Hi, is your wife home? I'd like to speak to you guys"

I was sitting in the living room and I said, "I don't know how to tell you guys this but Kie's husband is beating the crap out of her. He has been for three years. Tonight, Liam told me that his dad hurt his mom. Kie needs to get away from him."

They argued back and forth with me telling me that he'd never hurt her. I looked at them and I said, "Why would I lie? My dad beat the shit out of me growing up and the only reason I'm okay today is because of your daughter. She saved me and it's my turn to save her. I'm not going to let her son grow up with a father like Luke. I'm taking Kie to a small cabin in the middle of nowhere. I need you guys to cover for me and get the best damn lawyer you can find. We're leaving her phone here with John B and Sarah. You can text me but we might not have service"

Anna and Mike seemed to listen to my plan. Anna started crying and she said, "How could I have missed this"

"It's not your fault. Let's just focus on saving Kie before it's too late"

I had my dad's beat-up old truck. Anna gave me the keys to Mike's truck and told me to take it. It has a car seat in it for Liam, a full tank of gas, and was much safer. I went home and packed a bunch of clothes, food, and toiletries.

I went back to the party and I went inside the chateau and snuck Kie's bag and Liam's bag into the truck. I grabbed Liam and got him in his car seat. He fell asleep and I locked him in the truck. Now to get Kie.

I walked up to her and she played it off totally cool. We were making casual conversation and I nodded to John B to distract her husband.

I grabbed Kie and said, "We're leaving right now. I have everything ready to go. Liam is waiting"

Kie followed me and got in her dad's truck as I drove. She looked in the backseat and saw her son safe and sleeping. I told her where we were going and that her parents knew. She started crying I held her hand. 

I drove for three hours and I pulled up to my cousin's cabin in the middle of the woods. I got out first and went inside and fired up the generator and started a fire for light and warmth.  

I went back out to the truck and I hauled all the stuff in. Then I got Liam out of his car seat and carried him inside as he was asleep. It was midnight and I just laid him on the bed and I hugged Kie.

"You guys are safe, I promise nothing will ever happen to you or to Liam. Your parents are working on getting a lawyer and for now, we're hanging here so your husband can't ever find us"

"How'd you know it was happening again?"

"Liam told me"

"Fuck... He was never supposed to see that. I'm a horrible mom" Kie said breaking down in tears

"It's not your fault. Liam will be okay and so will you" I said hugging her

Kie and I sat on the couch and she told me that her husband's been fine for the past year and a half. It was almost perfect and then one day he just snapped and just started beating the shit out of her. 

We took pictures of her bruises for documentation and then it was time for bed. It was just a small cabin with one double bed. I told Kie she could go sleep with her son and I was curled up on the tiny couch.

The next morning, I made breakfast we just hung out there for about a week. I heard from Kie's parents and the lawyer was set in place. We had already gone to a local police station and reported the situation. 

Now, we were heading back to OBX for the restraining order. Kie's parents, John B, and Pope already moved Kie out and back into her parent's house. 

We pulled into the driveway and Anna and Mike ran out to hug their daughter. I got Liam from the backseat and I carried him inside. 

Liam and I had a special bond. We've both been abused by our dads. Kie won full custody of Liam, her husband was arrested, and Kie was finally free. 

I've been hanging out with her and Liam a lot. She's given me permission to talk to Liam about the abuse in a way he can understand.

Kie allowed me to pretty much do whatever I wanted with Liam. I loved having a little buddy to hang out with.

I was with Kie and Liam and he said, "Goodnight daddy JJ" 

My heart was beating and I just said, "Goodnight Liam"

Kie and I left the room and she said, "I have no idea where that came from. But it makes me happy that he sees you as his dad and not his abusive father. You've been with us since this happened. You're a huge part of my life and a huge part of Liam's. He clearly loves you and I would be honored to have my son call you dad if that's something you want"

"Really? You want me to be his dad?"

"Yeah, I do as long as you promise that you're all in. He can't lose another dad"

"He never will, I'm all in. I love him like my own son which is hilarious because kids were never my thing until I met your little guy"

"Our little guy" Kie corrected me

I hugged her and said, "Thank you, Kie"

She relaxed in my arms and then I kissed her. I told her that I loved her and she said she loved me back.

Over the next few months, Kie and I got closer. Liam was calling me daddy all the time and I loved it. 

I took Liam out on a guys-only day and I asked, "Do you think it would be okay if married your mommy?"

"Yeah!" He said smiling

I showed Liam the ring and that night, I took Kie out on a date and proposed to her. She said yes and she asked me to officially adopt Liam and legally be his dad.