| 39 |

"Here, eat up," Jay demanded as he shoved a plate into my hands once the dark had fallen, only causing me to look weirdly at him.

It had been no less than two hours since we had eaten dinner, right before the sun had disappeared beyond the horizon and painted the sky dark blue.

"We just ate," I reminded him and he quietly nodded as he turned to look at his own plate as well, which had remarkably less food on it compared to mine, "and why do I have so much more than you?"

"Jungwon estimated that we would anchor by Isle de la Mort by sunrise, and Sunghoon made that plate," Jay replied, almost smirking at me as he gave me a knowing look, "something about you having gotten too skinny while on the Flottante. I think he missed you... who knows, maybe he's also fond of you."

"Also fond of me?" I questioned in amusement and he nodded casually.

"I enjoy having you marching across the deck as if you own this ship," he excused with a small sigh, looking out over the sea for a second, "gives me some form of entertainment when I stand at the helm... you march across the deck and swabbies have even begun giving away for you... Jiyeon bounces across the deck and smiles at everyone, but they all just roll their eyes at her. I find it interesting to watch your differences and how the crew reacts on you. Makes it easier for me to know who to abandon at the next harbour."

"How so?" I frowned and sat down on the nearby wooden box, while Jay followed after me with a small chuckle.

"Any man that shows no respect towards women should simply not be on my ship," Jay remarked calmly, "had I not liked Sunghoon, he would've been set off at least two years ago... he's the only exception. But you know... these past few weeks, I haven't had the urge to abandon him anywhere. Not after he begged me to follow the Flottante after you went with them."

"Begged?" I questioned in amusement and Jay immediately nodded, while chewing on his bite of food, taking a while to answer until he had swallowed.

"The second the last Flottante crew member had gone back onto the boat he started begging," Jay nodded as he furrowed his eyebrows slightly and cleared his throat, "I refused for a day, before eventually he had bothered me enough. He didn't say anything in the days after that, just stood at the front of the ship, watching the Flottante through a monocular... he was a bit weird."

"Weird," I commented and glanced at Jay, before we both let out a small laugh at each other.

It eventually went quiet once again as I quietly picked apart my food and took my time eating it while Jay just finished his food quickly and dusted off his plate down towards the water beneath the ship. A small sigh escaping his lips.

"You and Sunghoon made a deal, didn't you?" he questioned and I glanced at him, "to help the curse. He said the curse had felt different, and I know you two didn't just start being kind to each other because you felt like it."

"I offered to help him get rid of curse in trade for his necklace," I nodded and Jay looked funnily at me, "don't ask about it," I waved it off and he hummed quietly.

"Thank you," he muttered and I looked over at him, "for at least trying."

"I think it's more trying from his side," I pointed out and he just stared at me, "I'm not really trying."

"You should," he remarked and I shook my head quietly, letting out a small laugh, "what?"

"It's just... no... you don't need to get what I mean," I decided and put my plate aside before leaning forward and leaning my hands on the edge of the box as I shrugged.

"What?" he chuckled quietly and I shook my head silently while smiling slightly, "what is it? Why are you smiling?"

"Doesn't concern you, now does it?" I questioned in amusement and quirked my eyebrow at him.