Skin

"You ready Pez." Beau said quietly. Perrie nodded squeezing his hand.

"More than ready B. I just wanna see my baba." She had just been released and the first thing she wanted to do was go and see their daughter for the first time. He opened the door to the NICU before carefully helping her inside.

Beau effortlessly guided her to their daughter. His arm was around Perries waist as she saw their daughter for the first time. He held her up as he felt her knees slightly give out.

"I know Pezza, it's hard to see." He was speaking for only her to see. Carefully he removed the portal doors keeping them from their daughter. "Put your hand through there love. You're not going to hurt her." When she rolled her eyes at him, he chuckled softly.

As Perrie moved her hand to carefully caress their daughters cheek Beaus finger moved into the newborns grasp. His thumb caressed her tiny hand as he watched his wife. Her hand slowly slipped beneath the newborns head before their blue eyes met.

"You really weren't lying." He chuckled softly as his lips pressed to her temple.

"Wouldn't lie about that lovely. She looks so much like you. Hope you know she's never stepping foot out of the house until she's forty." A soft smile appeared on Perries lips as she lightly laughed.

"You know that won't happen." He scoffed. "Well then good luck with that. All she'll have to do is blink her eyes and you'll be saying yes." He chuckled. He knew she was right but he would never admit it. "I-I just want to hold her." Beau watched as Perries face dropped.

"I know Pezza." He didn't even know what to say. The two sat in silence for the longest time just watching. After nearly thirty minutes of standing Beau carefully moved a chair over. As she sat down he carefully sat on the arm their eyes still on their daughter. "What about Sky?" Perrie looked at him confused. "For her name. I know it's random but like when you think about it.... She's kinda like the sky. You can see it but you can't touch it.... But like you can touch her.... I don't know. I'm just putting...."

"I like it baba. But how do you want to spell it?" She interrupted his rambling.

"I don't know. Like S-k-y." She shook her head.

"What about S-k-y-e?" He nodded.

"I like that lot Pezza." A small smile appeared on her face before the two saw a doctor make their way towards them.

"Well this is perfect timing." The doctor began. "I was just about to take a look at your daughter to see if she was fit to be held." Perries eyes lit up. "She's still not ready to be without full time care but this would be one major step towards going home." The two parents nodded before their daughter was quietly examined. "I-I...." The doctors voice cracked and Perries face fell. "She's right there.... I want yous to try it but while I'm here. I'm...." They could both tell the doctor was thinking things through as she was talking. "Would one of yous feel comfortable with a bit of skin to skin? I feel as though it would be more beneficial for her first hold to be that. It may push her over the edge that she's been needing to jump over."

Perrie and Beau exchanged a glance. She knew that he wanted her to be the one to hold her first. As much as she wanted to be the one she also knew just how sore she was, but she wouldn't admit it.

"I think it's best that he does it." She took his hand and squeezed it gently telling him not to fight it.

Beau carefully followed the instructions of the doctor. Though he had many skin to skin moments with Blue it wasn't anywhere near this. As he took a seat in a chair they had brought for him he became thankful of the fact that he had a button down on. Skye was carefully taken out of the blanket she was swaddled in before her onesie was removed. Balancing the wires and numerous machines the newborn was carefully maneuvered onto her fathers chest.

His hands carefully balanced the small form as Perries hand ran along their daughters back. Beaus eyes were intently watching Skye. He gently adjusted her head into a better position before he saw her eyes open. As their eyes met the doctor could see her heart rate improve. Slowly the newborns oxygen levels increased. It was a sight to behold.

"And that is what we love to see." The doctor commented. "We'll leave yous for a bit. As you know there will be a nurse around if you notice anything do not hesitate to call one of us over." Perrie nodded knowing Beau wasn't even paying attention.

"I'm sorry Pezza...." He began softly before she shook her head.

"Don't be baba. I'm still a bit sore." His eyes met hers before her hand moved through his hair. "As long as it was one of us I don't care." He hesitantly nodded before their eyes slipped back to their daughters sleeping form. "She is so much smaller than Blue. Like I know he was a big baba but she's just so small." Perrie said quietly earning a nod from her husband.

"I know Pez. Feels like I'm going to break her." He said quietly before her lips pressed to the top of his head. "I just wish we could get her home."

"Same Sunshine...." He could tell she was holding back her disappointment.

It was nearly an hour later that Skye was carefully returned to the bassinet. The two parents left shortly after as Beau saw Perries demeanor completely change. As they walked through the door of their house he caught her from falling to the floor.

"I-I-I failed her...." She sobbed into his chest.

"Pezza no you didn't." Jade who had been watching Blue moved towards the two as she heard the blonde completely break down. "P this is not your fault in the slightest. If anything it's mine. But things happen for a reason Perrie and yes it fucking sucks, but all we can do is look forward to getting her here so we can never let her go." She just shook her head still crying. Beau was never the best with words so Jade took over.

"Pez... we all know it's the big idiots fault. Dumb ass should've just waited outside the door instead of being in the line of fire. You are the most amazing mother and you haven't failed her. If anyones going to fail her it's going to be him. We all know that." He scoffed at his best friends words.

"Oh please. Neither one of us will fail her because she's never leaving this house." He commented finally earning a giggle from Perrie. They could hear her crying cease before she quietly spoke.

"You wish baba. You wish."