Chapter 78: Retired

"Naruto. You're gonna be late!" I called.

"I'm going!" Naruto called back as he came scrambling through the kitchen.

"You can't expect me to be waking you up every morning. I won't always be here because of missions!" I scolded him.

"I know I know! I'm off!" Naruto shouted as he raced off.

I sighed. These past few years have been fine. Naruto is on his way to becoming a ninja. A genin at that. He's growing up, yet he doesn't seem to be maturing.

"He's a kid. It's just how they are," a voice spoke from behind me.

"Mhm," I hummed in response and looked over. "You're one to talk."

"Me??" Gai replied surprised.

"Yeah. You and your crazy youthfulness are always causing chaos," I teased and he chuckled.

"I don't think chaos is the correct word for what I do," he replied and wrapped his arms around my waist.

"Spontaneous acts then," I retorted and then turned around, leaning up to kiss his cheek.

"Kira. Could we talk about something serious?" Gai asked and I nodded. "I think....it would be best if Kakashi left the anbu."

"Why do you think that?" I asked, wanting to hear his reasoning.

"On missions I've seen what he's done. Killing without a second thought. With what he has been through, I don't think it is best for his health to stay in such an organization," he responded.

"I think you're right. Maybe he could be a squad leader?" I suggested. "He could teach young ninja."

"I do like that idea. I'll bring it up with the Hokage," Gai said and kissed the side of my head. "I'll see you later."

"Of course," I replied as I walked him out.

He headed on his way and I began to clean up the place a bit. I heard a knock and called out that the door was open.

"Mind telling me why Gai is at your house all the time?" Kakashi spoke as he walked in the living area.

"I think you know the answer to that," I replied and smiled. "Although, I do worry his fondness for you will overtake his fondness for me one day."

"I doubt it," he responded and sat down. "You've been alright lately?"

"Of course. My missions have been going well and the patients I have helped have all recovered by now," I commented. "Life is good."

"What about Naruto?" Kakashi questioned.

"Motivated as always. Seems to have a grown a rivalry with Sasuke though," I pointed out. "He's determined to prove himself any chance he can. I worry he'll be too reckless as a ninja."

"I'm sure he will be alright. Hopefully Iruka can snap some sense into him," he stated.

"I hope," I said and grabbed my bag.

"Where is Daiko?" Kakashi questioned. "I noticed he hasn't been at the house a lot."

"Kakashi....Daiko is old now," I spoke softly. "I retired him to live in the woods of Konoha. A peaceful life as a wolf."

"I'm glad to hear that," Kakashi said. "Now come on. Let's get some food before I head off for a mission."

"Ichiraku?" I asked, kinda wanting some ramen.

"Who are you? Naruto now," he teased as he stood up.

"Look. I love ramen but when Naruto is around I need to set a better example," I stated. "I can't allow him to eat ramen all the time."

"Yet now you're eating ramen when he isn't around," Kakashi stated.

"I'm an adult," I retorted and Kakashi scoffed.

"Sometimes you don't act like it," he commented as we headed out.

"We're the same age. Don't sass me," I responded as we walked together.

We ate together and soon an anbu member came to bring Kakashi to the Hokage. He seemed surprised, so I assumed it wasn't his mission. Gai might have been able to convince the Hokage after all.

After that, I headed into the woods. I went to my usual spot by one of the rivers and sat down. I sensed a familiar presence approaching and smiled.

"Hey boy," I called as I turned to see the big, white wolf trotting over to me.

I pet his side and he laid down beside me. I lightly scratching behind his ears as he rested his head on my lap.

"You're a good boy," I murmured. "We've been through a lot together huh...."

I smiled at all the memories. The training and missions we've been through together. Taking care of Naruto was one of Daiko's big jobs eventually as well. I'm sure he enjoyed that.

"I bet it is nice being retired. I would love that. Not having to worry about a lot," I said. "I've survived one war as a child and because of that I feel I have been fighting forever. People need me though. Konoha needs me."

Daiko huffed in response and glanced up at me.

"Don't give me that look," I responded. "I can't retire."

Daiko grumbled and then closed his eyes. I smiled in amusement and pet his side.