Chapter 55: Girl's Day Gone Wrong

"Even though you've been gone for so long, it honestly feels like you've just been here this whole time?"

"What do you mean by that Kurenai?" I asked curiously.

Kurenai and I were out having a girls day of sorts. She claimed that we should spend time together since I'm either working or hanging out with Nari or Gai. So she's taking me shopping and getting all sorts of food.

"It's just that, you've been gone for three years but when you returned, it just felt normal," Kurenai commented. "As if we just picked up where we left off as if you hadn't left at all."

"I guess it does kinda feel like that, except everyone is older and taller," I pointed out with a chuckle. "Gai and Kakashi especially."

"Mhm," Kurenai hummed in response and then pulled me into a shop. "So, what's the deal with you and Nari?"

"Well uh," I said as I thought about it. "Him and I are teammates and good friends."

"Just good friends," Kurenai questioned as she gave me a look.

"W-what?!" I exclaimed in confusion.

"Okay, okay," Kurenai conceded and moved on. "So, what's with you and Gai then?"

"What about Gai?" I asked and glanced over at her.

"You two are pretty close is all," Kurenai pointed out as she looked at a few trinkets.

"Well yeah. Gai was first real friend," I replied as I stood beside her, watching. "Kakashi doesn't count. He just got stuck with me as a sister."

"So, in all your time you spend together. There's nothing more than friendship?" She questioned further.

"I've never thought about anything romantic with either Nari or Gai," I responded honestly. "Like, sometimes I get flustered and all that, but I've never thought about it since I'm always focused on studying, training, or missions."

"That's fair," Kurenai stated. "I think, you and Nari would look cute together."

"Nari is apart of the Hyuga clan. I don't know if he's allowed to be with someone outside of it," I pointed out and then smirked. "So, you prefer me with Nari rather than Gai?"

"Well, yeah. It's no offense to Gai. He's just a bit much sometimes," Kurenai responded with a shrug.

"I think his enthusiasm is all apart of his charm," I commented with a smile.

"His charm?" She spoke confused.

"Yeah. Gai is a really good person. He's just super optimistic," I explained. "His dad has always had that outlook on life and he admired it and is carrying it on."

"Oh. I didn't know that," Kurenai replied. "So, what I'm hearing is you would rather be with Gai?"

I stared at her slightly annoyed that her only interest was my nonexistent love life.

"What about you and Asuma?" I questioned suddenly.

Her eyes widened at that and then turned away becoming flustered.

"Let's talk about something else," she muttered.

"Okay good," I replied chuckling. "No need to talk about guys anyway."

3rd POV

"What do you think they're talking about?" Asuma questioned.

Him, Nari, and Gai were watching from around a corner as the girls wandered around town together.

"Maybe they're talking about their training and techniques?" Gai suggested. "Kurenai is more genjutsu while Kira is more proficient in ninjutsu and taijutsu."