Chapter 54: Watchful Eyes

Months passed by. I helped Kushina around the house more and making sure her pregnancy was going well. I've been on a few missions here and there, but I think Minato prefers it when I stay around Kushina so I can help watch over her. He really cares about her.

"I'm home!" I called out.

I had just gotten back from my most recent mission. It was an A rank where I had to escort a noble along with keeping them out of trouble. It was pretty frustrating.

"Welcome home!" Kushina called back.

I walked into the kitchen as I stretched my arms.

"How are you feeling?" I asked curiously as I gazed over at her.

She was about a month or so away from her due date now. It was pretty worrying considering she was a jinchuriki.

"I'm feeling fine, you have no reason to worry over me," she responded simply.

"Well, I'm technically a medical ninja. It's my job," I commented with a smile and then bent down to greet Daiko, lightly scratching his ears.

I felt another presence though, outside on the balcony. It was faint as if someone was definitely trying to hide themself. I walked over towards the window and stealthily checked outside. There was someone sitting out there with a black cloak and mask.

An anbu....

But, it's not just any anbu.

I immediately went to the door and stepped outside, approaching them.

"Kakashi?" I called and they seemed to stiffen.

I was soon face to face with a mask that covered their face as they seemed to stare at me.

"Rin...." he muttered as if shocked and confused.

"No....Kakashi it's me. Kira," I responded as I moved closer. "Kira Hatake."

"Kira....Kira!"

He immediately moved and pulled me into a hug. I was shocked since it all happened so fast, but I hugged him back. Even though I've been back in Konoha for months I still hadn't been able to see him, and now he's right in front of me. I held onto him tightly and buried my face into his cloak.

"You're home," he murmured softly.

"Yeah and I'm not leaving again," I told him. "I'm so sorry.......you've been through so much while I've been away."

"So you know..." he spoke as he pulled away from the hug, finally taking off his anbu mask.

"I do," I replied. "How...How are you?"

"I....don't know," Kakashi murmured. "Minato-sensei thought putting me in the anbu would help me cope with Rin's death more."

"I'm guessing you still don't really. Feel too different about it," I commented.

"It still haunts me...How I couldn't keep her safe..." he stated. "I'm...getting better....I know that. Gai still pesters me still."

"Good," I replied. "I told him to watch after you afterall before I left years ago."

He didn't respond and just sat there awhile longer.

"Minato had me assigned to watch Kushina for awhile," he spoke. "I'm guessing it was because you were away."

"Could be," I responded. "He just wants to make sure she's okay."

"I'm....happy you're back," he stated.

"I'm glad. Make sure to visit when you're not too busy or else I'll track you down myself," I commented.

"Seems I can't completely hide my presence from you still," he replied with a chuckle.