Chapter 76: Our Job Here Is Done

When I came to, the first thing I felt was a hand lightly brushing through my hair. It felt nice. It was lulling me back to sleep, but I forced my eyes open to see my surroundings.

I was still in the infirmary. That much I could tell. I felt something warm against my temple and looked to the left. First thing I saw was green and a smile began to grow on my face. I reached out, grabbing onto the person's sleeve.

"Gai..." I murmured softly.

"My Water Lily," he responded and I looked up, seeing a bright, happy smile on his face.

"How long have I been asleep," I asked as I opened my eyes more.

"Two days," Gai responded as he took my hand from his hand and into his palm, kissing it.

"Mmm....Five more minutes," I muttered as I closed my eyes.

I heard Gai chuckle and then I felt his lips kiss my nose. Next my cheek, then my forehead.

"Gai," I whined. "Sleepy."

"You're sleepy because you've slept for two days straight," Gai stated. "You need to get up and get back your youthfulness."

"I am youthful....I'm like what....twenty something," I responded, opening my eyes and smiling up at him.

"Twenty-one to be exact," Gai replied, amused.

"See. Youthful," I replied with a chuckle and began to sit up.

Gai helped me sit up and I smiled in appreciation. I reached up, feeling my hair, making sure it was still short. I was done playing princess. Especially since the princess is a total prick actually.

"All the make-up is off of my face, right?" I questioned and then pushed up the hair in front of my forehead. "Can see my Byakugō?"

"Yes. I can," he responded, chuckling as he leaned in, kissing my forehead where the Byakugō seal was. "You're you. The love of my life."

"Oh shut up," I muttered, my face burning with blush. "You're being cheesy."

I then paused for a minute, pondering what could've happened after the incident.

"Does everyone know that I was just a decoy now?" I questioned curiously.

"Yes. I informed them of what the princess paid us for and the situation at hand," he explained.

"Well, not what I was paid for," I angrily muttered and began to stand. "I put the pieces together that day I got poisoned. She hired us and didn't inform anyone else, claiming anyone could be after her. Based on responses from her father, her servants, and her betrothed, she was against the whole marriage thing and was a brat. So, she hired someone to take her place as princess and then have them killed off so she can live her life freely. Unlucky for her, my stupid Kekkei Genkai can save my ass when it comes to poisons. More like I was paid as a sacrifice."

"So it was a trick. She used us to run off," Gai stated and I nodded. "What should we do now?"

"Well, inform their guard and have them search for her. They would know better where some of her hiding spots would be," I pointed out. "And we weren't paid to do this. It's their problem now and I want to go home."

Gai nodded.

"Do you feel well enough for the trip?" He questioned.

"I've been asleep for two days. I better be," I replied and began to stand.

Gai instantly was by my side, making sure I was okay while I stood up. I held onto his arm and then glanced down at my outfit. I sighed in annoyance since I was still wearing a dress.

"Where are my regular clothes?" I asked curiously.

"In your bag," Gai responded and then moved away before coming back with my bag.

I took it from him and began to sift through the items. I eventually found my clothes and glanced over at Gai. He nodded and then turned around. I smiled and then began to attempt to take the dress off. I was having trouble. I had been able to untie everything that bound me to the dress, but I couldn't slip it off by myself. I sighed and glanced over at Gai who was still facing away.

"Gai....I need help," I spoke softly and he turned around. "But, once the dress is off, please close your eyes."

"Of course," he responded and began to help me.

Once it was off, he kept true to his word and closed his eyes. I pulled on my regular clothes and sighed, finally glad to be out of a dress and into leggings. I looked over and saw Gai still had his eyes closed. I smiled and then walked up to him. I got on my tippy toes and lightly kissed his lips. I felt him smile into the kiss and wrapped his arms around me, holding me close. I pulled away and smiled at him, reaching a hand up to ruffle his hair, ruining the neatness of his bowl cut.

"Let's go home," he declared and I chuckled, nodding.

We informed the Daimyo of our departure and soon was on our way. We traveled by boat as to have an easier trip back. Gai insisted since he wanted to make sure I didn't push myself.

I was so happy to be going home. As beautiful the Land of Rivers was I've had my fill of adventure here for now. For one, the man I've had a crush on for years is now my boyfriend. That's pretty insane and I don't know how some will react. Well, many will complain it was about time I assume. Naruto will probably be pretty judgy and I doubt Kakashi will care too much.

A new adventure now awaits.

I felt hands wrap around my waist as I stared out at the water. I smiled and glanced back at him.

"What're you thinking about my youthful love," he asked.

"How lucky I am to have you," I responded softly.

I'm freaking back!

Finally! I was able to get myself to write again! Yus!!

Also been reading some of your comments and I love you guys and I'm glad you like this story!!!

Will write more later! Feel good to be back!

Thanks for reading!!