Chapter 9: Birthday

"Kakashi's birthday is today?!" I spoke surprised I hadn't been told sooner.

Sakumo nodded. He seemed so tired as of recent and didn't talk much or go out. Every time I asked him to go to town with me he would have an excuse or I would just go with Kakashi.

"We'll just do a small celebration with just family," Sakumo responded. "I need you to go into town and pick up a cake. Can you handle that?"

I nodded eagerly. "Of course I can father!"

He smiled and then lightly ruffled my hair. I then raced off to the door and put on my sandals before heading outside.

"I'll be back soon!" I called out as I left.

"Be safe!" Sakumo called back in amusement.

I walked down the familiar path I'd gone down so many times before to head to town. Another month had passed since I first arrived in the Village Hidden in the Leaves. I felt right at home. I still didn't really have any friends, but I was happy nonetheless.

I raised my hands up and stretched as I enjoyed the wind and the sun shining on my face. I then halted when a cat jumped out in front of me. It was grey with dark stripes. We just both sat there, staring at each other. I slowly moved closer and held out my hand. It sniffed it and then lightly brushed it's cheek against my hand. I smiled and then gently picked it up my arms.

"You caught him!" A voice called and I looked over confused.

There in all his glory stood Dai in his green suite.

"He is the toughest cat I've ever had to catch and I've been revered for my cat catching skills," Dai said and smiled.

I giggled in amusement.

"Well, he seems pretty tame to me," I told him as I pet the cat's head.

"Maybe he prefers ladies, but that still doesn't explain why he runs from his owner," Dai commented with a sigh.

I nodded and then a thought popped in my head.

"How is Gai? I haven't seen him in awhile," I asked curiously.

"Oh. Uh...Gai got into a fight and is in the hospital," Dai informed me. "He got a decent head injury but he's recovered well and is about to be discharged!"

"That's good to hear. I might go visit him then," I responded and held out the cat. "And you should probably finish your mission."

"Yes! Thank you young lady," Dai said as he took the cat and raced off.

I chuckled in amusement and then continued on my way to town. Maybe I should go visit Gai since I'll be in town. I walked to the Konoha hospital and went to the desk.

"Is there a way I can visit Might Gai?" I asked one of the nurses curiously.

"Gai? Oh, of course. Here. Just sign in and I'll take you to his room," the nurse responded kindly.

I nodded and then signed the paper before following after her. We arrived at the room and the nurse lightly knocked.

"Gai. You have a visitor," she called as she opened the door.

I walked inside and smiled as I saw Gai, giving a small wave. He stood there surprised and soon the nurse left us. I walked over and sat down in a chair next his bed.

"Your dad said you got pretty hurt. What happened?" I asked curiously.

"I lost a fight," Gai admitted with a sigh.

".....Why were you fighting?" I questioned further.

"...Some people were talking down....about my father," Gai replied as he gripped the bed sheets. "I started the fight....wanting to defend him, but I failed."

I looked at him sadly, feeling bad for him. I knew his father was seen as odd, but I didn't think that way. I thought he was compassionate and kind.

"I'm sorry Gai," I told him. "People can be mean, I would know but as long as you're happy and those you care for are happy, that's what matters."

Gai stared at me in wonder and then nodded, smiling at me. "You're right, Kira!"

We talked for a little longer and then knew I needed to head home soon.

"Farewell Gai. I hope you get better soon," I told him as I stood from my seat,  smiling at him.

"Mhm! I'll be in tip top shape in now time!" He replied and gave me a thumbs up along with a smile of his own.

I giggled and then waved before leaving the room. I raced to go get the cake for Kakashi. I picked one of the simplest ones since I knew he wasn't a big sweets person anyway, and began to head back home. I arrived and set it on the counter, looking over at Sakumo who was cooking dinner.

"That took longer than I thought. Did everything go okay?" Sakumo asked curiously.

I nodded. "Yeah. I just met up with a friend before I picked it up."

"A friend?" Sakumo questioned with a smile.

"It's Gai," I replied. "He was in the hospital."

"Ah. I see," Sakumo responded. "Well, I'm glad you visited him then. He's a good, hardworking kid."

I nodded and then began to help Sakumo prepare the rest of dinner. We made salt-broiled saury and eggplant-mixed miso soup. It smelled really good.

Soon we heard the door opened and I began to feel the excitement run through my body as I jumped up and down.

"I'm home," I heard him call and we stood there waiting as he approached slowly.

"Huh?" He murmured.

"Happy Birthday Kakashi!" I called as I raced over and hugged him.

Sakumo smiled in amusement and then slowly moved over to use. I pulled away and Sakumo kneeled down hugging Kakashi.

"Happy Birthday. I'm so proud of you," he said.

Kakashi hugged him back and then looked over at us both.

"Thank you," he responded simply.

We then sat down and ate as a family. The night was filled with laughter and some smiles. I loved this feeling of happiness and belonging. I wanted it to last forever.

A lil cute chapter for ya 💖