Chapter 12: Breathe

"She's still not breathing!"

"She has a lot of water in her lungs. It needs to be extracted now!"

"Only way to get it out is thoracentesis in order to not risk her life."

"Alright. Prepare the needle! Thoracentesis is a go."

......................

"She's breathing!"

An hour after the procedure, Kakashi and Gai were able to convince the nurses to allow them to visit Kira. They walked inside and saw her peacefully asleep in the hospital bed. Her unruly short, brown hair splayed against the pillow where her head lay.

Kakashi sat down at the foot of her bed and Gai sat in a chair, both sitting in silence as they watched her sleep.

"I'm glad she's okay..." Gai murmured.

"She wouldn't be in this position if I hadn't said those things," Kakashi spoke in defeat as he watched his sister through sad eyes.

"Whether or not you said those things that Mist Ninja would have attacked her at some point," Gai pointed out.

Kakashi nodded. "You're right."

"I'll leave you now. I have training to do, but I'll see you both tomorrow," Gai said as he waved goodbye while racing out of the room.

Kakashi watched him leave and then looked back at Kira, guilt overtaking his soul as he felt he was to blame for everything.

"I'm so sorry Kira," he spoke softly. "I promise to be a better brother so please, just wake up soon."

1st Person

All I saw was darkness around me. My green eyes filled with confusion as I remember I had been in a forest. I began to walk around and looked to see with each step water rippled beneath meet.

I halted when I saw a giant mass of water heading towards me and my eyes widened in fear. I went to run but water had latched onto my ankles. I screamed but no sound came out as the water crashed against my body. I would swim up but there was no end to the water and I could feel myself losing life.

I held onto myself as I felt like I was drowning. I clutched onto my throat and squinted my eyes shut. I didn't want to die. I didn't want to die. No. No! NO!

"Ahh!" I cried out as I shot up in bed and grabbed at my throat as if I couldn't breathe but this time air was able to enter my lungs.

I took a deep breath and began to calm myself as I looked around. I wasn't in my room....The hospital again....What a fun place to be.

I rubbed my eyes and looked out seeing daylight. How long was I asleep?

I then realized that Mist Ninja had wanted to take me back so I scrambled over to the window and was met with relief when I saw the familiar sight of Konoha. I sat back and let out a sigh of relief. I'd been saved.

"You're awake," a voice called and I looked over to see a red headed woman.

I remembered her from that day in town.

"Kushina..." I murmured.

"Oh, you remember me," she gleefully as she set down a basket of fruit beside my bed. "I just wanted to stop by to see if you were okay. You gave a lot of us a scare with what happened. Minato was glad he got to you when he did."

"Minato....Who is he?" I asked curiously, unfamiliar with the name.

"Ah. He's a jonin famously known as the Yellow Flash," Kushina explained.

"Oh. I think I've heard of him a bit," I responded.

"Mhm. He was sent on a mission after the attack so he wasn't able to visit," Kushina informed me as she sat beside my bed.

"How long have I been asleep?" I asked curiously.

"Just a day," Kushina responded. "I had to convince Kakashi to go home last night to rest. He wouldn't leave your side."

"Oh....." I replied and then looked down at my hands.

I remember the last conversation we had and felt confused as to why he would stay at my bedside. He hates me....Doesn't he....

"You should eat Kira. Build up your strength," Kushina commented and held out an able to me.

I smiled in appreciation and nodded as I took the apple from her hands. I bit into it and began to eat, enjoying the taste. After I finished I looked over at Kushina.

"Thank you so much," I responded softly.

"No need to thank me. I'm just happy to help," Kushina said and lightly ruffled my hair. "Are you growing your hair out?"

"Mm. Yeah," I replied. "I thought I'd grow it out for now..."

"Are you doing it because you want to?" Kushina asked curiously.

"Not sure...." I replied.

"It's alright. You look cute no matter what anyway," she complimented kindly which caused my cheeks to heat up.

"Thank you...." I murmured softly.

Soon there was a knock on the door and I looked over curiously as the door slid open to reveal the person behind it.

There stood Gai with a few flowers in his hand and his eyes widened when he saw me sitting up in bed.

"You're awake!" He spoke cheerfully as he walked over to them.

"Mhm," I hummed in response with a nod and looked at the flowers. "Are those for me?"

"Uh! Yes! Here you go!" Gai offered as he held the flowers out to me.

They were white chamomile flowers and I smiled in amusement as I took the flowers from him.

"Thank you, they're very pretty," I responded and set them on the table beside me.

"I'm glad you like them!" Gai replied and smiled, his cheeks pink a bit.

Kushina chuckled in amusement as she watched the kids' interaction. She then looked over and saw Kakashi walk into the room as well.

I watched him enter the room as well and turned my gaze away, becoming silent. Kakashi shuffled over to the other side of the bed and sat down beside me.

"How are you feeling?" He asked in a soft tone.

"I'm fine," I replied and looked away.

"No you're not," he responded firmly which caught me off guard.

"Why do you care," I challenged as I narrow my eyes at him. "I'm just some Mist girl."

He just stared at me and then reached over, pulling me into an embrace. My eyes widened and then tears began to fill my eyes.

"I'm sorry, Kira," he murmured. "I'll do better."

I let the tears fall and I wrapped my arms around him, hugging him back as I began to cry. He comforted me the whole time and I was so glad to have my brother back.

"This is so youthful," Gai said as he had tears falling from his eyes.

I looked at him when Kakashi pulled away and began to laugh in amusement as I wiped my eyes.

"Thank you guys. It means a lot that you're here," I told them with a smile.

"Of course," Kushina said and lightly ruffled my hair. "You're apart of the Leaf and we care about you."

"Yeah! You're an awesome friend!" Gai said as he gave me a smile and thumbs up.

"And a good person..." Kakashi murmured.

My cheeks became dusted with pink and I smiled happily.

"Thank you!"

Some ominous and cute moments!

Hope you enjoyed the chapter!!

Will be publishing more chapters soon!!