Chapter 44: Rescue Mission

3rd POV

"Come on Kakashi! One more challenge!" Gai begged as they walked through the village.

"It's already late and I'm tired," Kakashi responded nonchalantly.

"Jeez Gai. Even at this hour you still have energy," Rin commented.

"Oi, beast face. Cut it out please," Obito muttered as he held his arms behind his head, sighing as he stared at the night sky. "You think Kira is okay?"

This caused everyone to become quiet. They walked silently as they all thought about the previous events that happened.

"I would say no," Kakashi replied honestly. "She's probably embarrassed about what happened and also depressed that she's probably lost a good friend."

"We should go cheer her up!" Gai announced.

"Didn't you hear her. She wants to be alone..." Rin murmured sadly.

"Hmmm," Obito hummed as he thought about it.

The group of shinobi then halted when they heard howling and startled gasps as a white juvenile wolf barreled through the village.

"Daiko?" Gai spoke in confusion.

"He came back!?" Rin exclaimed surprised.

Daiko halted in front of them and moved over towards Gai, pushing his muzzle against his arm. Gai reached up to pet his head and then noticed something in Daiko's jaws. He reached for it and grabbed the item, Daiko letting him. Gai held up a dark grey shinobi headband and his eyes widened.

"It's.....Kira's headband," Gai stated in shock.

"Her headband?" Obito said confused. "Why would he have that?"

Kakashi began to watch Daiko's body language and actions as the other three talked. Daiko's ears were pinned back just like they had in the restaurant and he was beginning to pace around anxiously, shifting his paws as if he couldn't stay still if his life depended on it. Kakashi then knew what was going on.

"Kira is in trouble," he concluded which caused the others to go silent.

Daiko became impatient and immediately raced off.

"Follow him," Kakashi ordered and took off after the wolf.

Gai, Obito, and Rin all followed suit, chasing down the wolf as he led them to the last place he remembered Kira being. When they arrived, all of their eyes widened.

The area they had arrived to had been totally washed away of any plant life and the trees were toppled. The ground was muddy as if it had just rained outside.

"It looks like a storm blew through here," Rin murmured as they all began to investigate.

"The scent of anyone behind here would have all washed away then," Kakashi concluded. "Kira used one of her best moves as a last resort to save herself."

"Huh?" Obito murmured.

"I've never seen Kira use anything that could cause this," Gai commented.

"That's because when you train with her, she holds back on her jutsu," Kakashi pointed out. "Just like how you do with your taijutsu."

"H-How do you know that?!" Gai exclaimed.

"I'm her brother remember. She tells me things," Kakashi replied with a shrug. "Whoever attacked must have been strong to make her resort to this. Especially since she sent Daiko to get help."

"Daiko knew she was in danger!" Rin realized. "That man who entered the restaurant! He must have been a threat."

"That would explain his sudden behavior change," Obito responded.