Chapter 23: Chunin Exams

"I'm not surprised he's late," Nari stated as we stood outside the testing room, waiting for Daiki.

"Yeah...." I responded with a sigh.

"Kira! You ready?" Obito called as him and Rin came over.

"Of course, but unfortunately our teammate is running behind," I replied. "You're here on time. Good job Obito!"

"That's cause Rin dragged me here," Obito admitted. "Such a pain."

Rin lightly shoved him. "You're lucky I showed up."

"I'm here," Daiki called as he ran into the hall.

"About time. It's about to begin," Nari stated. "Did you study like Kira suggested last night?"

"Study...." Daiki murmured confused and then his eyes widened. "I was tired after dinner and she came so late, how was I supposed to remember!"

"Daiki!" I scolded and hit him on the head. "You better do you best or all of us will fail!"

"I won't fail Kira! I promise!" Daiki replied confidently and I nodded in approval.

"Let's head in," Rim suggested and all of us went inside.

The first part of the exam was written of course. It wasn't too hard for me, but I could tell by Daiki's body language he was struggling. Obito's as well. I finished early and waited outside. Once everyone had finished the results came in. Rin, Obito, Daiki, Nari, and I all passed.

"Congratulations Kira!" A voice called and I looked over.

"Oh! Gai!" I greeted with a smile. "Did you make it as well?"

"Of course I did! I'll definitely become chunin this time," Gai responded with a smile and thumbs up.

I nodded. "Great job Gai. I believe in you!"

"Thanks Kira. I wish you luck as well!" He responded cheerfully.

"Alright. Those of you who passed meet with your teams at this location to begin the second portion in an hour," a proctor announced.

"We did it!" Daiki celebrated.

"We haven't completely done it yet," Nari pointed out. "So don't celebrate too much."

"Ugh...You're right.." Daiki said in disappointment.

"Let's go ahead guys," I called and our team began to head to the exam two area.

We arrived early and sat around to relax. Daiki was having a hard time doing so and was being antsy. I guess being late for him had it's perks since he never had to wait around.

"I can't wait any longer. What's the next exam gonna be," Daiki cried out.

"Well, we know it involves teamwork," I pointed out. "We'll be needing to work together."

"Which means no running off Daiki," Nari commented.

"You act like I'm some child," Daiki complained.

"You're nine. You are a child!" I responded.

Nari chuckled at that statement and I gave a smile in triumph. I was able to make the stoic Nari laugh. Yes!

"Well, I'm older than you so shut up," Daiki muttered.

"I'll be eight next week," I stated and glared at him. "And no matter what age I am, I'll still be able to kick your ass."

Daiki hid behind Nari in fear as my lime green eyes blazed in anger.

"I've warned you several times not to make her mad," Nari pointed out and Daiki gave a huff of defeat.

"I know...." he murmured.

"Gather up. The next part of the exam is about to begin!" A proctor called.

"Let's go!" Daiki yelled and raced over.

I chuckled and followed after him. The next exam portion involves two teams being pitted against each other in a game of capture the flag essentially. One of us will have the flag and the others are to defend and retrieve the other.

"Kira should have the flag," Nari spoke as we began to talk strategy.

"Huh? Why not me?" Daiki whined.

"Because they would expect one of us to have it," Nari commented and began to explain his plan. "What we'll do is have Kira stationed near a source of water. This large forest should have at least a few sources. Once Kira is there, our job is to retrieve the flag. We're both defenders and retrievers in this scenario Daiki. We'll try and get anyone before they reach Kira, going on the offense."

"But, wouldn't both of us leaving Kira make her exposed," Daiki questioned.

"No. If she's near water, she's the one on control," Nari stated.

"You can count on me Daiki. I promise," I told him with a smile.

"Alright," Daiki murmured.

"In the end, our final defense will be you, Kira. It is possible the one with the flag will go on the offense to throw us off. So we'll depend on you for that as well," Nari stated.

I nodded. We sat patiently, awaiting our turn as teams after teams went into the forest and came back out. Rin and Obito's team made it along with Gai's. I'm glad my friends have passed the second test. That left my team then.

"Team 9 of the Leaf will go against Team 12 of the Leaf," the proctor called.

"So...We're facing our own then..." Nari commented.

Daiki nodded and glanced over. "They're from our class as well."

"You think we have a chance?" I asked curiously.

"Don't worry Kira. We'll be able to take these guys down. Have faith," Daiki replied with a smile.

I smiled back and nodded. We headed into the forest and were given a five minute peace period so that we could disperse. My team jumped from branch to branch as I listened carefully.

"This way!" I told them and jumped down, racing over.

"Whoa. How'd you know?" Daiki called in surprise as we came upon a river.

"I could sense the water and as we got closer I could hear it," I told them honestly. "It's helpful that way Nari didn't need to waste chakra on his Byakugan too early."

"Oohhhh. Smart!" Daiki praised and Nari rolled his eyes.

"Daiki. Let's not split up okay," Nari stated. "I trust you're strong and a good fighter, but if both of us stay together, we might trick them into thinking one of us has the flag and the other is the guard."

"Huh....Alright. I'll do it," Daiki replied reluctantly. "It'll be easier to pick them off that way."

Nari nodded and then looked to me. He set a hand on my shoulder and smiled.

"We're counting on you, Kira," he said as he handed me the red piece of cloth.

I nodded. "I won't let you down!"