Chapter 68: I'll Watch Over You

"Gai..."

"Huh?" Gai responded as he sat up from his laying position on the ground to look over at Nari who was sitting beside him now.

"Can I ask something of you?" Nari spoke, keeping a face of neutral expression. "You'll most likely agree to it, but I wanted to make sure you understand."

"Of course. You're my friend Nari," Gai exclaimed with a smile. "How can I help?"

Nari was silent for awhile as he pondered his words and then nodded before looking Gai in the eyes.

"If I die, please watch over Kira for me," he stated determined.

"What?!" Gai spoke thrown off by such a sudden request.

"Shh! Let me talk more," Nari spoke and Gai shut his trap. "As part of the Hyuga, I am forced to sacrifice for the greater good of the main house. It's my destiny in a way. With such factors in place, I will most likely die for my clan. But, if possible and it comes down to it, I'm going to sacrifice myself for Kira."

"Nari! There's no way you'll die! You're an amazing shinobi and very skilled," Gai stated confidently. "You sound like your throwing in the towel already! What would Kira think!"

"That's because I am throwing in the towel," Nari commented plainly. "I've come to terms with my death being certain, but I want to die making my own choice, which isn't what you'll get in the Hyuga clan. Kira will be upset and she'll probably become depressed about it. I know her so well......I care....No....Love her a lot. As a friend, teammate, and something more. I don't think she would ever accept this decision. She would throw herself into danger just to stop it from happening if she could. I'm telling you because I believe you'll be the only one to help her."

"Me?? Why not Kakashi or Kurenai," Gai spoke a bit surprised.

"You two were childhood friends and you accepted her so easily while others were uneasy about her being in the village. She talks so highly of you all the time and even defends you when others make fun of your antics," Nari told him. "She also cares a lot about you and I know you care a lot about her. So please,  if something ever happens, watch over her. She'll need you. She may act fine, but you know how she is."

"Yeah....She always wants to do so much for others and make sure they're happy when she barely takes herself into consideration," Gai spoke softly and then nodded. "I'll make sure to watch over her, but please. Don't die Nari."

"I'll try not to, but if that happens, I'll watch over you guys," Nari responded and gave him a small smile.

Present

I held the kunai out, pointing towards me and then moved it to stab myself. It a  sudden flash, my hands were stopped just before the kunai could make any contact with flesh. Another pair of hands firmly held onto mine, using great strength to keep me from moving my arms anymore. More tears began to fall and then I went to see who stopped me. My eyes widened at who it was........and I felt great amounts of guilt wash over me.

Gai stared down at me and he looked almost angry. I listened to his heart and heard it more irratic and sped up. He must of ran here. No, a run like that is nothing. He was scared.....

I felt his grip tighten on my wrists, forcing me to drop the kunai. I just stood there shaking, his grip the only thing keeping me up now. Tears slowly fall from my eyes and stream down my cheeks, falling down onto the floorboards.

I was surprised he hasn't said a single thing. What was he thinking about? Does he hate me now? Is he disappointed? I wish he would say something.

"Gai...." I spoke shakily as I looked up at him. "Say something please...."