Chapter 35: Staring

War continued over the years. I was now eleven. Three years after Daiki's death. I've more or less healed from that situation. I still visit his grave every so often and have dedicated myself to accomplishing his dream for him. It'sthe least I could do.

Missions became more dangerous. After Nari became a chunin, we began to go on more missions together due to both of us now becoming chunin. It was nice to have someone familiar as my teammate. Not that I minded being on missions with others. I especially preferred going on missions with friends, but Nari and had been on a team together for years and it was a sense of familiarity.

Speaking of missions, the two of us were just summoned by the Hokage. I could only assume this would mean another outing.

"We never catch a break anymore now that we're chunin," I whined as Nari and I walked together through Konaha.

"We're more experienced and they don't want to send genin out into possible war zones," Nari reasoned and I sighed.

"You're right," I stated.

Over the years I had let my hair grow out again. My brown hair has now reached my mid back. I keep it back with my ninja headband when I don't pull it back. I partially missed my shorter hair. It was less work and I wasn't having to worry about it getting caught or anything. I just wanted a change I guess.

We soon arrived to the Hokage building and walked upstairs in peaceful silence. I lightly knocked on the office door to Lord Third's room and waited for a response. We heard a faint come in and pushed the doors open to enter. We walked up to the Third Hokage and gave small bows before getting to business.

"I have a B mission that I think both of you will be assets for. I'm assigning a team of three experiences chunin," he began to explain. "Kira. You're the main asset of this mission with your excellent water abilities. The others will be there to assist you."

I nodded in understanding.

"What's the main task of the mission?" I questioned.

"I'll explain that once the third member gets here," Lord Third responded.

"Who would that be?" Nari asked in a monotonous voice.

Before Lord Hokage could answer, the doors burst open and a flash of green appeared before us. I smiled happily while and Nari's eyes seemed to narrow.

"Apologies for being late Lord Hokage!" Gai immediately spoke. "I had just gotten back from a previous mission not long ago."

"It's alright Gai," Lord Third assured. "I was just about to explain the missions task."

He nodded and stayed silent as Lord Hokage began to explain. I didn't realize I was staring at him. I hadn't seen Gai in such a long time. He's matured and yet hasn't. I assumed his loud outbursts continue daily. We haven't been able to see each other a lot due to the constant bustle of missions and war efforts. He seemed older. I forgot he's about two years older than me.

"Kira? Are you alright?"

"Huh?" I responded as a hand waved in my face.

"You kind of stared off into space? Are you feeling okay?" Gai questioned as he stood closer, as if to inspect if I was sick or not.

"Ah! No! Sorry. I just was thinking really hard!" I began to ramble excuses as my face heated up quite a bit. "Sorry Lord Hokage. Please continue."

"As I was saying. Mysterious fires have been happening in a village north west from here. The source is unknown. For all we know it could just be wildfires or some idiot campers. Nari, Gai. Your job will to be to find the source while Kira works on helping heal the forests," he explained.

Over the years my abilities in healing have grown quite a bit to where I can infuse some of my healing aura into my water. It's slowly been getting more effective over the years on helping people, but it helps even more so on plants.

I nodded, understanding the mission. It's B rank due to the specific skills needed and the possibility of having a run in with enemies or another fire. If we knew it were rouge ninja it would've most definitely been an A mission, but there's too much uncertainty.

"You'll depart in a few hours. Kira you'll be leading this mission," The Third Hokage finalized.

We nodded and then lightly bowed before exiting the room.

"This will most definitely be a youthful adventure for all of us! I look forward in our teamwork!" Gai said enthusiastically and smiled.

Nari scoffed and turned away. "Just don't get in my way while we're investigating."

When did Nari get so....Stubborn? Hardheaded? Cocky? It's one of those words.

"May I remind you I'm the head of this mission," I said firmly and Nari looked over surprised by my sudden authority. "You two will be having to work as a duo when investigating. I expect you to be on your best behavior and focus on the mission."

Nari gave in and nodded.

"Yes Ma'am," Gai replied and saluted.

"Now go grab your things. We'll meet at the gates in an hour," I told them before racing off.

"Wow. Kira's authority is so youthful and inspiring!" Gai spoke as he watched me run off.

"That we can agree on," Nari replied before going to get his things.

I arrived home and began to quickly pack my bag. The village was about a days walk from here, but we didn't know how long we'd be staying. Our job was to find the source and also help along the forest into regrowing and healing. Nari could probably spot things with his Byakugan easy, making sense he was put on the team. Gai is....decent when it comes to investigating. Sometimes he comes up with ridiculous scenarios but when he actually uses his brain he can eventually get there.

But Gai's main purpose wasn't for investigating. I'm guessing it is to be a guard for us of sorts. Nari can handle himself and so can I, but if I'm using large amounts of chakra for healing and also manipulating my water I'll be rendered vulnerable if a fight arises suddenly. Lord Hokage really thought ahead just in case.

I left Kakashi a note in case he came home from his mission before me, which was most likely. I then began to race off to the gate to meet up with the team I'll be leading for this mission.

As I ran I began to think back to when I stared off into space. My cheeks tinted pink when I thought about it. I had just, stared at him while thinking about him. What's wrong with me....I'm so embarrassed.

Why was I staring in the first place? I know Gai, was I that taken aback from seeing him in awhile.

To be honest, I did miss his presence a lot. He makes things a bit easier with his cheery and fiery personality. He's a good distraction I guess. He's a great person.

I became flustered again and then lightly pinched my cheek. Enough thinking. I have a mission to do.

If there is any confusion about age, Kira is 11 now.

This'll be quite an interesting mission with this set up and I'm excited. Tee hee