Chapter 67: Break The Cycle

I eventually was able to go home with enough begging from Naruto and reassurance from Kakashi that I would be watched like a hawk.

Going back to my apartment felt surreal since it felt like I was gone so long when really I was gone for a week or so.

"Welcome home!!" Naruto cheered when I walked through the apartment door.

I glanced around and immediately a was a bit dumbfounded by the sight. The place was now a pigsty. I shouldn't be surprised.

I used cleaning to keep my mind off of everything, but at night there was nothing I could do to stop the nightmares.

Every night when I lied down, I would lay awake thinking of the most awful things. When I could actually fall asleep, nightmares were the same over and over again. My mind had twisted my memories and every night I watch Nari die at my hands. I would wake up screaming and sweating. Usually one of the anbu member's under Kakashi would appear in my room. I always reassured them I was fine and that I wasn't hostile.

I was just glad Naruto never woke from my night terrors. He was a pretty deep sleeper. Sometimes when I couldn't sleep, I would work on my Kekkei Genkai. I've got a handle on activitating it, but I still can't help but activate it when I'm panicked or scared. It's like an instinct, a feeling of haunting from the fight in the cave.

I could control blood. Blood Release was the technical term. I had one of Kakashi's anbu teammates get me books from the library, he was really young. When I questioned Kakashi about it, he said the Yamato had been in the anbu since he was six. I was blown away by that. When I researched about this type of release, there wasn't much. There was rumored to be a clan who could control blood due to the iron content in it. That didn't make sense since iron was more of an earth release type.

When I started figuring out my ability slowly, I concluded mine was just slightly different. I could manipulate blood more so by using the water content. I tried to use my Kekkei Genkai and actually perform some sort of jutsu, but as I did all I could do was imagine Emiyo's bloodied face. I immediately retracted from doing such things and have left it alone since.

I never left the house ever. Occasionally I would have a visitor, but I've turned into a recluse of sorts.

Whenever people would come over, it would be pretty awkward. Half the time I had to keep assuring myself I would not hurt them. They mostly came over with groceries and to see how I was doing. Kurenai occasionally stayed for some tea. I was greatful for her calm presence.

Gai never really came over a lot. Sometimes I'd see step out for some fresh air and wave, but that was it. Part of me was a bit sad, but also grateful since I was scared. He's always been comforting and kind, but I'm sure he would pester me about what had happened.

"Sis! I'm leaving to go play and explore!" Naruto called to me.

"Okay! Don't stay out too late!" I called from the kitchen.

"I won't," he said and then I heard the door shut.

Since I refused to go out, Naruto now went out on his own a lot. I didn't mind since he was four now. He would be off to the academy soon enough.

What's funny is today was my eighteenth birthday. I doubt anyone remembers. Kakashi probably remembers, but who knows what kind of anbu things he's up to.

I felt something nudge my leg and I looked down, smiling at Daiko. I lightly pet his ears.

"You're a good boy," I told him as I continued to just pet him for awhile.

Soon I heard a knock on the door.

"Wonder who it is...." I murmured, slightly nervous since I wasn't expecting any guests. I knew it was a non-threatening since the anbu weren't making a fuss.