Chapter 58: My Savior From Panic

"Naruto! I'm going out to get groceries!" I called as I began to gather my things.

I heard small feet running towards ny direction, a small figure soon hugging my leg.

"I come with!" He declared as his grip tightened.

"Uh. Not today, okay," I responded as I pat his head.

I was still a bit cautious when it came to taking Naruto out in public. I just didn't want him to be shunned. Not like a two year old would understand it anyway, but I guess it would make me feel better.

"Why?" Naruto whined.

"I won't be too long and you can play with Daiko all you want," I told him, trying to make him feel better.

Naruto glanced over at the wolf, whose head was now up and alert since he heard his name. The toddler seems to ponder these before nodding.

"Okay," he replied.

I smiled in amusement and ruffled his small head of hair.

"Alright. I'll be back in an hour or so," I told him. "Make sure to behave."

I then headed towards the door, leaving Naruto in my ninken's care. I walked throughout the village until I reached the market, beginning to look through everything. I could feel the occasional glances in my direction as I bought a few items. I tried to ignore it and went on with my shopping.

As I continued to gather items though, I felt like I could hear more whispers and feel more stares. I began to feel more anxious, my heart pounding more in my chest. Maybe it was just all in my head, but what if they were actually staring and talking about me. What if they see me as an outsider again? I don't want that! I don't want to feel that again! I grabbed onto my shirt, grasping it where my heart was as I stood there as if I was stuck.

I slightly flinched when I felt a hand on my shoulder. I looked up and my eyes widened.

"Gai...." I murmured surprised.

"Are you okay?" He immediately asked, surprising me since he seemed to be more serious. He usual smile he donned wasn't there and his eyes were staring at me in worry.

"Y-yeah. I'm okay," I responded softly, glancing toward the ground.

He probably didn't believe me since he grabbed onto my arm and began to drag me away from the market. I let him, just following along as I clutched onto my bag with my other hand. I think I had finished up my shopping anyway.

We arrived in a less busy area in Konoha and he sat me down on a bench. I felt less stressed and anxious here, my heart beginning to calm down. I let out a soft sigh as sank into the seat.

"Thank you Gai," I responded as I looked up at the green dressed shinobi.

"No problem! Friends are supposed to help one another, right?" He responded and did his usual nice guy pose.

I smiled in amusement. I hadn't seen that pose in awhile, and it felt nice to see it again.

"You seemed like you were in trouble," Gai responded. "You were shaking again like that time in the woods during the Nine Tails attack."

I hadn't even realized I was shaking. I now felt bad and looked at the ground, a bit embarrassed now.

"Do you want to tell me what's wrong?" Gai asked as he moved closer, now kneeling in front of me.

My face became warm when he moved closer and my thoughts became a bit fuzzy. I hadn't even realized how his voice had gotten deeper over the years. He's grown up quite a bit from the boy I met when I first arrived.