Chapter 41: Ninken Training Begins

"So, Ms. Inuzuka.....What are your thoughts?" I asked.

Tsume Inuzuka was currently examining Daiko to see if anything was wrong or out of the ordinary.

"Nothing seems off. His wounds have healed nicely from that fire though," she commented. "You're a medical ninja right?"

I nodded and replied with "That's right."

"Good job," she replied and then lightly pet Daiko on the head. "Though, I think it would be best for him to return to the wild at some point."

"Oh....You're probably right.." I spoke a bit defeated at that. "I just thought..."

"You can't just keep an untamed wolf in the village," she pointed out. "He may be small now but in a couple of weeks he'll be bigger."

"I understand," I murmured and bowed my head sadly.

Tsume let out a sigh and began to think for a moment.

"Bring him back in three weeks," she responded and I looked up surprised. "It's for one final check up and to see if you can tame him well enough. If so, it's possible you could make him a partner of sorts or ninken."

"A ninken..." I murmured to myself.

Having a ninken would be beneficial and a wolf at that. Good sense of smell and great attack.

"Alright. I'll do my best to train him!" I responded.

I then picked up Daiko and raced out of the household, heading back to my home.

"I'm home," I called out as I set down Daiko while I took off my shoes.

The wolf pup then raced off down the hall and I quickly followed suit.

"Kira....where is there....a dog in our house," Kakashi spoke as I saw him standing in the kitchen.

"Kakashi!!" I spoke, happy to see my brother.

I leapt at him, enveloping him in a hug and he immediately returned in.

"You still haven't answered my question," he pointed out.

"Oh, right!" I replied and then pulled.

"I found him on a mission and have decided to train him to be my ninken," I announced.

"Oh. But, that's a lot of work you know," he murmured. "I'm still training some of my ninken and only used them on smaller missions."

"Tsume said that I have three weeks, so I've got to do my best," I announced.

"Alright. Well have fun with that," he responded and began to walk away.

"Huh? You're not gonna help me?" I questioned.

"No. You're his trainer. You need to bond with your animal," he replied. "Just make sure he doesn't destroy the house."

"Alright!" I responded.

A week passed and not much progress has been made. The only thing I've been able to accomplish is get Daiko use to his name, learn basic commands, and to fetch things. He's grown quite a bit though.

"Ughhhh....At this rate I won't be able to accomplish my goal..." I murmured as we sat in the woods.

I tossed a stick and Daiko chased after it. I sighed softly and then glanced around, hearing someone coming.

"Hey! Kira!" A loud voice called and soon a boy dressed in green stood before me.

"Oh. Gai!" I greeted and stood up from my spot. "How have you been?"

"I've been great! I've been using my youth to train myself harder to get stronger," he declared. "How has Daiko's training been going?"

"Not too great," I commented as I watched the white wolf pup race towards me with the stick in his mouth.

I took it from him and gave him the signal to sit, which he did. I then glanced towards Gai, an idea beginning to form in my head.

"Hey Gai. Could I borrow your scarf?" I asked curiously.

"Oh. Sure," he spoke, clearly confused but untied the small red cloth from around his neck and handed it to me.

"I want to see if Daiko will track you," I stated. "Go hide somewhere but not too far."

Gai nodded, glad to be of some help and took off. I then held the scarf out to Daiko who began to sniff it, wagging his tail at the familiar scent. I smiled in amusement.

"Okay. Now follow the scent!" I commanded.

Daiko proceeded to bite the cloth, taking it from my hands and racing off in Gai's direction. I was confused by his actions but followed after him. Soon he came to a halt and began to paw at a tree as he stared up towards the top.

"He found me!" Gai spoke and then jumped down.

Daiko playfully growled at Gai and pounced on him. Gai let out a gasp of surprised and fell into his butt.

"I forgot you've gotten bigger," Gai commented, finally noticing that Daiko was about the size of a medium dog.

"Sorry," I spoke apologetically as I arrived. "I still haven't trained him that well in manners."

"It's alright. Now give me my scarf back," Gai said and began to pull at the cloth in Daiko's mouth.

Daiko took this as a sign of wanting to play and began to pull back, leading to a game of tug of war. However, the fabric of the object wouldn't last long enough for that.

"Wait stop!" I called and then the sound of ripping filled the air.

I looked at Gai who held a piece of it and I have never felt so guilty before. Daiko just continued to wag his tail as he held the rest of the cloth in his mouth.

"I'm sorry Gai. I'll take responsibility," I murmured as I stared at the ground ashamed.

Gai looked over, not liking the idea of you being saddened by this situation.

"No! It's okay! He's just a pup anyway," Gai began to ramble, trying to make me feel better any way possible.

"I'll....I'll make you a new one!" I declared and Gai blushed a bit at the idea of me making a new scarf for him.

"You...you don't have to," he replied softly, but secretly he really wanted me to.

"But I will! It's my fault since I'm his trainer. I won't let it happen again," I replied. "I'll make sure to make you a new scarf as soon as possible."

"T-Thank you Kira," he responded with a smile.

I nodded and then looked over to Daiko.

"I think that's enough training for today," I stated.

"If you're not training anymore, let's go get dumplings!" Gai suggested.

"Huh? But I just ruined your scarf," I stated shocked by his suggestion.

"So?" He replied. "I just want to hang out with you."

I just stood there confused and eventually gave in to getting dumplings with him.

"I'm paying!" He announced and raced off.

"No way! At least let me pay for my own!" I called as I chased after Gai with Daiko following suit.

Hey! Itz ya boy! Back at it again with another chapter! Well, two chapters technically.

Hope you're enjoying the book and I liked the idea of Kira having her own little animal friend! Also, you get some wholesome moments with Gai! Hehe!

Thanks for the support!! More chapters to come!!