Chapter 31: Because Of Me

I awoke in the middle of the night by the sound of coughing. I sat up immediately and winced since I was still wounded. The coughing continued and it was coming from the other side of the curtain. I forced myself out of bed, slowly walking and pushing open the medical curtain. There laid Daiki who was having a coughing fit, blood coming from his lips.

"Daiki!" I called as I rushed to his side.

"Kira?" He murmured confused and then opened his dark green eyes.

My eyes met his and I smiled sadly. I gently hugged him as he laid in the bed. He was still and I pulled away as he began to cough more. I began to tear up and sniffled as I tried to stop the tears.

"This is all my fault," I cried.

My child emotions overcame any serious shinobi posture I had. I just a kid and I was losing my friend.

"Kira....Don't say that," Daiki spoke softly. "I jumped in front of you. I saved you."

"No!" I yelled in anger. "It should have been me! I should've been hit! You've wanted to be a shinobi all your life! You were gonna become the strongest shinobi! You.....you!"

I was balling my eyes out at this point.

"Kira....I would hug you but I can't move my body...." he said.

I sniffled, wiping my eyes as I laid my head on his chest, listening to the sickening rasp of his lungs and the slower than normal heartbeat. A few stray tears fell from my eyes as I watched him.

"I'm not gonna leave your side..." I told him. "Just stay alive."

"I will...." he murmured as he began to drift back into sleep.

I watched him before my vision darkened, slipping into sleep.

"Kira......Kira..."

I heard someone calling my name and felt someone touch my shoulder. My eyes began to blink open and I sat up, removing my head from lying on Daiki's chest. I looked up at the blurry figure and then wiped my eyes.

"What are you doing out of bed?"

Now I recognized the voice.

"Nari...." I murmured softly as my vision cleared.

"You should be resting. You were hurt," he spoke in a worried voice.

"Nari!" I cried out and got up, hugging him.

He was startled at my sudden action, but hugged me back immediately. He rested his chin on my shoulder as we held each other close. I was so happy to see him unharmed and safe after the incident. We eventually parted and I gave him a small, reassuring smile.

Nari gave me a small smile in return and then looked over to Daiki, his eyes saddening.

"Has he woken up at all?" He asked curiously.

"He did last night from a coughing fit...." I murmured sadly. "I told him I wouldn't leave his side."

Nari nodded and then put a hand on my shoulder.

"Don't blame yourself, please," he murmured.

"What...." I spoke confused.

"I know you're blaming yourself for the state he is in, but he chose to do this. It was his choice," Nari told her. "I would've done the same if he hadn't beat me to it."

"Don't say that! Don't throw your life away for my sake," I scolded him. "Don't ever do that."

"It's our duty as Leaf Shinobi to help others," Nari countered and I sighed.