Chapter 11: Lost Control

Many months passed since Sakumo's death and I feel only slightly better. Kakashi has kept his distance a bit from me, but one of the biggest changes I noticed was him leaving his scarf behind. I lightly picked it up and wrapped it around my own neck since it was now the colder season in Konoha, though it isn't cold enough to snow unfortunately. I guess that's one thing I miss about the Mist.

Recently he hasn't been packing lunches either I figured out since I saw his bag after he came home one day. I made him some rice and some veggies. It was the best I could do at my age and level of intelligence when it came to cooking. Tying the scarf close to my body and slipping on my jacket, I raced off to the academy.

Adults and townspeople were a bit more friendly to me now. I went to town a lot to distract myself from my home life whenever I'm not training myself. Kakashi had stopped training me. I didn't question him, but it bothered me more than I thought it would. I wanted me brother back.

I waved to a few stalls as adults greeted me as I walked into town. I put on a smile, a facade I've had to do a lot. I didn't want to appear broken. I wanted to be strong so that I can help others.

I soon arrived to the academy and walked inside. I'd never been inside before, only outside for whenever I would meet Kakashi after his class ends.

"Uh. Can I help you?" An shinobi asked me when he spotted me wandering the academy halls.

"Actually yes! I'm here to deliver my brother's lunch. He left it at home," I informed him.

"Who is your brother?" He asked.

"Kakashi Hatake," I responded.

"Hatake....Ah yes. I'll take you to their classroom. Everyone is doing self-study right now so you came at the perfect time," he informed me as he lead me to the classroom.

"That's good," I replied quietly. "Thank you."

When we arrived to the classroom the shinobi left me and I felt so nervous for some reason. When was the last time I actually talked to him? I couldn't recall. We only ever had brief conversations when it came to errands or food. I took a deep breath before I slowly opened the door and stepped inside. All eyes were on me immediately and I'd never felt more self conscious before in my life. Kakashi's stare was the most intimidating out of all of them. I built up enough courage and walked over to him.

"Why are you here?" Kakashi questioned as he stared down at me.

"You....You left your lunch at home so I came to deliver it," I responded and held out the box for him.

He sighed and took the box. "Next time just stay at home. I can make my own lunch."

"But you don't..." I murmured for only him to hear.

"That's my own business," he muttered. "I don't need you to look after me. I don't need anyone."

"Kakashi. But you're my brother," I began to reason with him.

"No I'm not. You're not my sister. You're just a Mist girl I'm stuck with now," he growled and my eyes widened.

Tears began to fill my eyes and I clenched my fist.

"Fine then," I replied and then took off the scarf and shoved it in his face. "Make sure to wear this or will get a cold. But why should I care....I'm just some Mist girl."

Kakashi stared in surprise at the scarf and then watched as I raced out of the classroom, tears falling down my cheeks. I ran to my safe place. The stream. I ran and ran until I fell to my knees on the water, it only reaching up to my waist as I sat.