Chapter 37: Truce?

1st POV

"Soup is done," I announced as I opened the lid to the pot I was using.

I had set up the fire and also organized the sticks we didn't use. I don't know what got into both of them, I thought Nari was going to be the reasonable one. I poured two bowls, handing one to each of the boys. They had been sending each other glares all night and it was starting to get on my nerves.

"Thank you Kira!"

"Thank you."

Both Gai and Nari began to dig in as if their lives depended on it. I was barely able to pour myself my own bowl before they finished.

"Seconds please!" They both asked and then glared at each other more.

I have had it. I narrowed my eyes at them as I controlled water to snake around their legs.

"That's enough!" I scolded and as I did so, they were propelled into the air.

Both of them were hanging upside down as I manipulated my water to hold them there. Gai was wiggling around a lot confused and Nari just hung there shocked by my actions.

"I don't know what your problem is with each other, but if you keep this up I will be heading back to the village and finding a better team. I bet Asuma and Kurenai wouldn't mind helping me, nor Ebisu and Genma!" I hissed at them.

"I'm sorry Kira! I'll stop!" Gai immediately apologized, clearly wanting to be put back down.

Nari just sighed in response and I huffed in annoyance, slowly lowering them back down.

"Help yourselves to the soup. I'll be back later," I said as I walked off with my bowl in hand.

"W-wait! You shouldn't wander around alone in the dark!" Gai protested, standing up suddenly when he saw me leaving.

"I'll be fine Gai. Both of you stay here. I don't want to be disturbed," I informed them and then disappeared.

I sat down beside a stream where the water reflected the moon's light. I began to enjoy the soup I made. I think I did decently well but I'll never know since the two others tasting it were just shoving it down their throats.

"Ugh! What's their problem!" I hissed in annoyance as I shoveled the soup into my mouth.

I let the sound of moving water help calm my mood as I glanced up at the stars evey so often. It was a very beautiful sight.

3rd POV

"Uh...If I may ask...why are we feuding again?" Gai questioned as Nari and him sat around the fire, having been in awkward silence for awhile.

"Wait.......Did you forget?" Nari asked confused.

"Well, I know we were arguing on who would be there for Kira, but couldn't we both just be there for her...." Gai stated as he lightly rubbed his chin in thought.

"I...guess..." Nari replied with a sigh. "I just let my emotions take over and things got out of hand."

"Why?" Gai asked curiously, staring the Hyuga, wanting to know.

"Because.....I like Kira," he murmured as his cheeks tinted pink at admitting such a fact.

"Ohhhhh! I see now," Gai responded looking like a light build went off in his head. "You saw me as a romantic threat!"

"You gonna tell the whole forest or what," Nari snapped in embarrassment. "Not so loud."

"Sorry," he apologized and sat there pondering.

'Nari likes Kira, but more than a friend,' Gai thought to himself as he became oddly silent. 'I guess that's fine. For some reason my insides don't feel settled over that fact though. Do I like Kira more than a friend....I've never thought about my feelings towards her like that....'

"Why are you so quiet all of a sudden?" Nari spoke worriedly, unsure if the green suited shinobi was alright.

"Thinking. I won't try and stand in your way romantically, but Kira is my friend so please respect that we'll be around each other quite a bit," Gai decided and looked at Nari. "I don't want us to fight. Let's get along."

Nari was surprised and then nodded, agreeing to his terms. He then looked out to the woods.

"When do you think she'll be back," Nari asked.

"When she disappears it's usually for a couple hours, especially if she finds a good spot with running water," Gai stated. "She's always had that habit, even when we were really young. It's like water is a magnet to her."

"Interesting...." Nari murmured in thought. "We should get some rest. Tomorrow we should get an early start so we can make it to the village before noon."

Gai nodded and watched as Nari got settled, eventually falling asleep. Gai stayed awake. wanting to make sure Kira made it back to the camp. When a few hours passed, he got up and raced off to go find her.

He stumbled upon a stream and looked around, soon spotting her leaned up against a tree asleep. He smiled in amusement and walked over. He gently picked her up bridal style in his arms, carrying her back to camp. Though she wasn't conscious, Kira leaned closer to Gai as she slept and he stiffened a bit. His cheeks began to heat up and his mind raced a bit.

They soon made it back to camp and he laid her in her sleeping bag, tucking her in so she wouldn't be cold. Gai laid down in his and began to ponder.

'I've been so close to her before and never felt like this. What's changed....' he thought as he glanced over at her. 'I shouldn't worry.'

He then closed his eyes and drifted off to sleep. Was he really okay with Nari going after Kira's affections.....

Another chapter babyyyy! Letz gooooooo!