Chapter 74: Love in the Garden

"Hold still. I'm trying to do your makeup," Princess Hikari scolded me and I sighed.

"My apologies. I'm not use to having makeup on," I responded honestly. "And isn't this dress a bit much?"

"No. You need to look the part," she replied a bit sassily.

I sighed and glanced down at the outfit I was put in. It was a light blue hanfu dress. It was very traditional and fancy and I didn't feel like I was me.

"Mmm. Done!" Hikari declared stepping away. "We're almost twins!"

"I guess so," I responded. "You're sure I don't need to use transformation jutsu."

"No. Everyone is too pea brain around here to notice as long as you wear your hair extensions and cover up that seal on your forehead," Hikari spoke confidently.

I was a bit put off by her insult about everyone in her household and then glanced at the mirror. With the additions to it, my hair just about reached my lower back. My normal hair length was just above my shoulders, so this felt so odd.

"What will I need to do in your stead while you are away at your safe house," I asked.

"I dunno. My servants will assist you in a daily routine and appointments and such. You won't have to do much I assume except attend a few social meals," she explained.

"Oh.....okay," I replied nervously. "I think I can do that."

"Good. I'll be off then," she responded and opened her door, glancing to the side. "You can come in now."

I looked up as I heard another pair of footsteps and saw Gai. She had made him wait outside while I became her dress up doll of sorts. I stared at him and he just seemed to freeze when he saw me. He didn't say anything and I got nervous.

"Do I look that bad?" I questioned.

"No! You look beautiful!" Gai replied immediately, his face becoming a bit red. "I mean, you just look quite different from what you normally do...."

I smiled in amusement and sighed.

"Well, I bid you guys farewell," Hikari announced and then she was gone.

I stood there pondering my life choice and then sighed. "Well....this is....what kind of mission is this?!" I shouted and huffed. "I'm used to action. Not playing princess."

"Well, this is more of an investigative mission," Gai commented and set a hand on my shoulder for reassurance. "It'll be alright though because I'm here to help."

I looked up at him and smiled, nodding. "You're right. It'll be alright," I responded.

I heard a knock on the door and composed myself to seem like I was the Princess.

"Come in," I called and I watched as a young woman walked in, bowing her head.

"Princess. It is about dinner time. Would you like to eat in your room tonight?" She asked curiously and looked over, noticing Gai. "Oh. I forgot you would be having guests. Pardon my intrusion. I am Adelaide."

"Nice to meet you!" Gai replied with a charming smile. "I am Might Gai. Shinobi of the Leaf. I'll be assisting in watching over the Princess."

"I'm glad. Your ladyship. Would you like your usual for dinner?" Adelaide asked.

"Uhh. Sure, and could I request some rice and curry for my new shinobi friend here," I questioned.

She seemed surprised by my request and then nodded.

"Of course. I will let the chefs know," she replied and left.

"I could've gone and gotten my own food," Gai commented.