Chapter 21: Recommended

"Try again," I said to Daiki.

Daiki and I were standing about ten feet away from each other on the river. We were training to keep chakra flowing through our feet to keep up above water and also perform jutsu.

Daiki nodded and did his hand signs again.

"Katon Ryuuka no Jutsu!"

He then took a deep breath and then shot a stream of fire out of his mouth towards me. I then did some hand signs as well to defend myself.

"Mizu Tate no Jutsu!"

A cylindrical barrier of water then formed around me and shielded me away from the blast. I released the jutsu once the fire was all gone.

"I think two is my limit still," Daiki commented with a sigh. "I was only taught this a month ago."

"Yeah. It only figures since Emiyo Sensei can't teach you much when it comes to Fire Release," I commented as I walked over to him, the water rippling with each step. "She uses Water and Earth."

"If this was a real fight, Kira would win," Nari pointed out as he stood to the side.

"Huh?! What makes you say that? You think I'm weak!" Daiki yelled in anger.

"No. She's a water user and you're both standing on a river. She has the ultimate source to use whatever jutsu she wants. She didn't even use her Water Manipulation technique today, which means she's going easy on you for training purposes," Nari concluded and Daiki stood there confused. "In other words, to dumb it down for you, she is more powerful because of the river."

"Ohhhhhhh. You're right!" Daiki responded with a nod of understanding now.

I giggled in amusement. Team 9 had been together for about a year now and this was a typical interaction. Nari usually was best at analyzing our skills and explaining things to Daiki who was more of a punch and ask questions later type person. I mostly helped teach them Taijustu and how to survive against water users, since Kirigakure was one of our main enemies in this war. They had been causing the most trouble.

Unfortunately, Gai's father had a run in with the seven swordsman of the Mist and it didn't end well. It had happened less than a month after the Chunin exams last year.

**

"Gai!" I called as I raced over to him.

I hadn't seen him a whole lot after his most recent mission and hadn't come to help me practice Taijutsu in a couple days. I was worried about him.

"Gai! Are you alright? You haven't come to training in awhile," I asked him worriedly as I stared at the green clothed shinobi.

He stood there with his head held down, staring at the dirt. His fists were clenched and his body was shaking a bit.

"....Gai...." I murmured confused.

"My father.....died...." he muttered and my eyes widened.

"Dai....." I spoke in shock. "He....Gai....I'm so sorry."

"My team was on a mission and we got attacked by the seven swordsmen of the Mist...." he explained. "My father....He arrived and used himself as a distraction for my team to get away safely.......He used the eight inner gates and.....He was able to take four of the swordmen down before he....he...."

I then hugged him tightly, wrapping my arms securely around his body and I felt him stiffen.

"I'm sorry Gai.....I know what it's like to lose someone, but I'm here for you," I told him. "I was told by my father before he past that 'There will be times where you feel hopeless, but know there is always hope. Look to your loved ones and friends. They care and they will give you hope.' Remember, you have my support Gai!"