Chapter 13: New Friends

Time seemed to fly and Kakashi graduated from the academy early, graduating in just a year. Which meant I've lived in Konoha for about a year now. I had slowly healed from Sakumo's death and so did Kakashi. He began to be more like a brother again after the incident with the Mist Ninja but still was stubborn as ever. He now dedicated himself to following the Shinobi rules and Konoha laws, not wanting to end up like his father did.

It's how he was dealing with his death and I accepted that. I heard from many he was hard to handle when it came to missions, but I knew once he got his own team he'd be helped. Actually, today was my first day at the academy. I was five now and I wanted to be able to accomplish my goal sooner rather than later. Kakashi and I had talked about it awhile ago.

"Kakashi. Once you graduate I'm going to try out for the academy. I want to work hard and become a shinobi to help others," I told him as we sat down for dinner.

"You don't want to enjoy the peace of simple life a little longer? I don't mind having to take care of you by getting money from missions," Kakashi offered.

"No. This is something I want to do. I want to help people and make father proud," I responded. "People have always told me I have potential and I want to be able to use that and make people proud."

Kakashi nodded. "Then I'll help train you when I can again."

"Really?!" I said enthusiastically. "Thank you brother!"

Since then I'd been able to hone my water manipulation skills and water jutsu that I'd already learned.

I got up and made lunch as I headed out of the house.

"I'm leaving now," I called back, being use to saying that whether anyone was there or not.

I held my bag close to my body and raced off towards town. I arrived to the academy and walked to my classroom. I sat in one of the back seats and ended up sitting alone since no one seemed to want to sit with me. I didn't mind too much and just listened as class began.

When class ended I raced out of the academy as fast as I could but accidently bumped into someone.

"I'm sorry!" I called and then my eyes widened. "Oh, Gai!"

"Kira! What're you doing here? Kakashi already graduated," he questioned curiously.

"Oh. I'm going to the academy now," I replied smiling.

"That's awesome, Kira. I'll be supporting you!" Gai replied with his classic smile and thumbs up.

I giggled in amusement.

"Thank you," I responded and smiled as well. "I'll support you as well."

"Where are you off to now?" Gai asked curiously.

"I'm not sure. Kakashi might be on a mission still so I was thinking of visiting father's gravestone," I replied softly.

"Oh....I'll go with you and then we can go get Ramen together," Gai offered with a smile, trying to cheer me up in a way.

"That sounds like a great idea," I spoke in response and smiled as well.

We both walked together to the cemetery and I visited Sakumo's grave. We sat in front of it silently and I set a small flower on it as well. I put my hands together and did a small prayer before looking over to Gai after a few minutes of silence.

"Shall we get Ramen now?" I asked curiously.

He nodded and stood up immediately. I could tell he was very excited. I gave him a small smile and then followed after him as we walked to go get ramen. He led me to a place called Ichiraku Ramen and walked inside.

"Welcome!" A man called as we sat down. "What will you all have?"

"Two bowls of Miso Ramen please," Gai replied and I nodded in approval of the choice.

We waited for our ramen and soon were joined by others.

"Hey Gai!" A boy with orange goggles greeted.

"Hello! Uh...I'm bad with names..." Gai responded shamefully.

"You should know by now, we're classmates!" The boy said in anger and then girl beside him just giggled.

"He's Obito Uchiha and I'm Rin Nohara" she introduced herself and then looked to me. "What's your name?"

"Kira Hatake. Nice to meet you," I replied politely with a smile.

"Hatake? Oh, you're Kakashi's sister!" Rin responded as she sat beside me.

"Sister...Oh yeah," Obito spoke as if a light bulb went off in his head.

I chuckled. "Yeah. I guess that's what I'm most known for."

"Well, Kakashi is really cool and he's mentioned you a few times," Rin mentioned.

"He's also become a pain now..." Obito muttered which earned him a hit on the head from Rin.

"Don't be rude," she lightly scolded and Obito pouted.

I giggled in amusement.

"Are you friends with Kakashi?" I asked curiously.

"Yes! We were his classmates before he graduated," Rin explained.

I nodded and smiled. "I'm glad he has some friends."

"Here is your ramen!" The shop owner announced as he handed Gai and I our ramen bowls.

"Thank you very much!" I replied and began to eat happily.

Ramen was always the best and it made it even better that I was here with new friends.

"Here's the bill," the owner called as he set down the piece of paper.

I reached for it but Gai snatched it away.

"Gai! At least let me pay for my half!" I argued as I reached for it.

"No way! A true gentleman should pay for the ladies food!" He argued back.

"Gai!!"

Obito and Rin laughed in amusement as they watched us fight over who would pay, but Gai was physically stronger than me so I gave up.

"I'll pay next time," I declared.

"No way!" Gai argued back.

"You two are very loud," Obito grumbled.

"Says you," Rin replied in amusement which made Obito blush.

We all laughed together and I was happy. I felt even more accepted into Konoha now.