Chapter 39: Keep Holding

/Author's Note: Art Above is my drawing of tween/early teens Kira\

"Hold still!" I scolded as I tried to clean off the wolf pup.

My team had come back to the Lord's estate and I sent Gai to do some investigation in town while Nari investigated the Lord. I on the other hand was leaning over a wooden tub trying to clean the ash from the pup's fur. Of course, he was being stubborn.

He whined as I tried to grab hold of him again and he leaped out of the tub. I huffed in annoyance and then moved my hands, moving the bath water to latch onto the wolf pup and set him back in the tub.

"Bet you didn't see that one coming," I teased with a smirk.

I eventually got him clean only to find out his fur was stark white. You couldn't really tell since he was dirtied from all the ash and dirt. His fur was really beautiful.

"Hmmmm. You'll need a name," I murmured to myself. "What about Snow?"

He looked at me annoyed and I sighed.

"Yeah too basic..." I murmured and began to think more. "How about......Daiko?"

His ears perked up a bit and his tail began to flop around. I assumed that meant he agreed.

"Alright. Daiko it is!" I declared with a smile.

It felt like a fitting name, although I purposely chose it to be similar to my late friends name. It should be an honor to have a similar name to Daiki, since he was a brave shinobi. Daiko won't be a replacement, but a great companion who will only remind me of my friend.

"You shouldn't name him. You'll get more attached," Nari commented as he entered the room. "Especially with a name like that...."

"You're right, but I couldn't help myself," I murmured as I pet Daiko's ears smiling. "Did you find out anything?"

"Not entirely. Though I heard something strange about a group of people who left the village awhile ago after visiting," Nari commented as he sat down.

"Interesting," I commented and stretched out my arms before lying down on the ground.

As I got comfortable, Daiko jumped onto my stomach causing me to cringe in slight pain. I sat up and glared at the wolf pup, but all he did was begin to lick my face.

"Ah! Wolf germs!" I called as I wiped away the slobber. "I don't know where your mouth has been."

Daiko just barked at me and I swatted him away. Nari sat to the side, lightly chuckling as he watched the interaction. I glared over at Nari and pointed a finger out at him.

"Don't laugh! He'll think this is good behavior," I scolded as Daiko settled down in my lap.

I gave in to his cuteness and began to pet his white fur as he fell asleep.