Chapter 63: An Excellent Sparring Match

"You.....you actually want to spar?!" Gai spoke completely surprised by my request.

"Well.....yes," I responded. "Aren't you happy? You've been wanting to fight for a long time."

Gai was still in a shocked state, his eyes sparkling in excitement. I stared at him in amusement and shook my head.

"We'll do taijutsu," I told him. "So I won't use any of my ninjutsu during the fight and will only focus my chakra so I can match your strength. No using eight gates. Just skill. The person who lands a hit first wins. Sound good?"

Gai vigorously nodded and then he pulled me in a bone crushing hug.

"Ack! Gai! How am I gonna fight you if all my bones are broken," I replied as I struggled in his grasp.

"Sorry!" Gai apologized immediately and let me go.

I inhaled air as soon as my lungs were usable again. Once I recovered from that I got into a stance. We were currently in an open field area already since I told him to meet me here. Gai put his fists up as he got ready for the fight.

"Begin!" I called as I raced towards him.

He moved as well, meeting me faster as his speed was greater than mine. He immediately jumped into the air, going for a kick. I blocked him along with the series of kicks he did after the first before he touched the ground again.

Once his feet were planted on the grass again, I began to punch at him, one after the other. He blocked each one as we moved around. It felt almost like a dance, each of us taking our turn as the lead as we attacked each other.

Soon enough he used his signature move.

"Leaf Hurricane!"

I jumped back but even though the blow didn't hit me the wind from such an attack pushed me back. I stumbled a bit and jumped back as he raced up to me, reeling back to throw a punch. He missed due to my dodge and I sighed in relief.

Next, I leaped into the air, punching my fist forward to land a strong blow. He dodged away at great speed and my fist hit the ground, creating a giant crater. Gai stared in awe, remembering the strength I possessed after that time I came at him in the woods when I learned of Rin's death. This time it's different. I was more controlled and not throwing blows rashly.

I composed myself immediately after my miss and raced at him. I went to kick his head and he blocked me. I went to punch him, but as he put his other arm up to block, I instead grabbed it. I used my strength to pull myself around him, and swung up to where I put his head in a headlock with my legs. I didn't think would count a blow, but it currently was giving me the upper hand.

As Gai went to move his hands to pry me off, I gripped his wrists, fighting him back. With no other options, Gai fell backwards full force. When I hit the ground the wind was knocked out of me and I gasped. He then got out of my grip due to my vulnerable moment and climbed on top of me to restrain me. He pinned my arms to the ground as he hovered above me. I tried to fight against him, but both of us seemed to stop as we noticed how close our faces were to each other.

Gai's face began to turn red and I knew I was completely flustered as well. I took this distraction and moved my leg up, kicking him off of me with great force. He flew off, skidding on the ground as he stumbled to a stop. I raced over and hovered over him. I reeled my hand back as if I was gonna punch him and Gai clenched his eyes shut in anticipation.

Why didn't he do anything else? He could get up, couldn't he? I technically already one though. As I hurled my fist at him, instead of a punch to the face, Gai felt a flick to the nose. This caused him to open his eyes in surprise at my actions as I smiled down at him.